• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Upgrade to my fishroom

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm finally about to update my first rack of tanks. I've got a 4-foot set of Edsal shelving (the bulk E-rack stuff from Lowes). So far, it has 13 tanks on it...mostly 10s with a few 5s. All are running with Poret mattenfilters with air from an Alita AL-15A linear air pump (uber quiet!) and overall, these tanks have been pretty darn successful.

But, I've been wanting to further maximize the use of this space for a while without losing the number of tanks. I have some larger tanks elsewhere, but have been making a tremendous amount of use of these smaller tanks for grow-out, quarantine, and dwarf cichlids. I also like that they are all separate because I can adjust the water conditions in them depending on what I've got going on in each one.

I've seen some 15 gal tanks at some other club members houses and really thought they were the perfect size. So, I've been collecting 15 gal tanks to swap out some of my 10s for. My plan (since, yes, I realize that these shelves are EXACTLY 4 feet across and I have to take into account the frame on each tank) is to put 3 15s and a 10 on each shelf. It'll barely fit, but from the measurements I've been taking....it's do-able.

I picked up several 15s from Tony recently, a few from the catfish convention auction, and picked up one new one to make a total of 9 tanks.

So I spent tonight scraping old paint off the tanks, removing the overflows (since they were on the wrong side for me, anyhow), and patching the overflow holes.

Tomorrow I hope to give them all a really good scrub and make sure that all traveled well back to my house and are still water-tight.

This weekend, I'm also planning on picking up some plywood and cutting new shelves. I've currently got the wire decking that sometimes comes with the Edsal shelving on there right now, with a layer of foam under the tanks. It's ok, but not great. The 15s will extend from the absolute front to back of the shelves so I'd like to have some solid wood under them all the way around.

Also, still on the to-do list: decide if I want to paint the bottoms of the tanks; cut new Poret; cut new glass lids for each tank...I'm sure there are a few more things, too, before it's all done. I've also picked up some more pool filter sand as well.

Here's a pic of what the rack currently looks like with the 10s in place. I've also cleaned off all of the stuff on the top shelf and plan to put a 33 gal tank up there, too!

2012-07-08_11-22-32_399.jpg

ddavila06

Members
wow, really tempting me to get rid of the 20s i been hoarding and get 10s instead..
btw, u beat me on the 15 gallon tanks!!!!:angry:

i agree they are perfect.
i have the same shelf unit in 36 inches but i like to see the whole tank not just the end so for now i will see how i manage :D
please keep the updates.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Christine, Just a thought, If your using plywood under your tank as new shelves,I would suggest you seal the raw wood. paint or clear finish, I've seen mold on other peoples racks where they can't wipe up spills. JMO

chriscoli

Administrator
that's very true about the plywood being porous. I have it on another set of shelving under some tanks and it looks pretty nasty at this point. Especially where I dribbled some iron-rich fertilizer. The bottle left a few dark circles where I set it down on the wood.

Hannibal

Members
Seeing this really makes me want to clean the junk off one of the racks in my basement and fill it up with tanks, I may have to do some research...

Just a quick question... How do you get anything out of the tanks? It doesn't look like there is a bunch of clearance.

chriscoli

Administrator
There's actually a bit more clearance up under there than is visible. My husband occasionally has his bridge group meet in our downstairs area and he doesn't like the tank light shining in their eyes when they are seated at the table...so I hung 6 in boards across the front of each row (painted black) to block the view of the bulbs. You can see it best right above the bottom row in the picture.

That being said...when I get the 15s in there...it is going to be pretty tight.

JasonC

Members
Mucho jeallous of your plans! Sounds like it is going to be fabulous.

Working on convincing my better half to let me do the same type of thing (except with 20L's) in our basement as a reward for cleaning it out and making it into a real living space. Not holding my breath though on that. ;P

chriscoli

Administrator
Well, my better half has limited me to the floor space that I currently have. He was very specific, though, that I was more than free to buld upwards. :)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Chris, Your plans sound like they will result in an even greater set-up than what you currently have. What kind of lighting are you running on your rack? If you swapped out the fixture for a slimmer one, what kind of increase in space would that result in?

chriscoli

Administrator
Right now I've got dual bulb T8 el-cheap-o shoplights....each has a "daylight" bulb from Home Depot, the other is a plant bulb.

I had thought that eventually I would replace them with something much thinner. As it is, my current shoplights are lower profile than my last set with the horrible T12 bulbs.

But yes....upgrading the lighting is not too far in the future, I think.

chriscoli

Administrator
I get my sand at Leslie's Pool Supply near the White Flint mall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Plenipotentiary-at-large
That's one option

It's uniform in size/grit, but most any washed sand will do. I prefer river sand myself - it's polished, varies in size and color and looks more natural. You can pick it up for free or next to nothing at most any sand and gravel yard or construction site - most people won't begrudge you a bucketful when they have a small mountain of it.