• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tuberculosis feeders

captmicha

Members
I got some cheap live-bearers to make dinner for my cichlids. From a local fish store, not a chain store.

One platy had that deformed look, where it's shape is kind of sunken.

When you get feeders that you're dubious about, and I'm pretty dubious about all LFS (except for the old nonpareil Scales that's shut down), do you just give them a full 30 days of meds/QT?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't feed feeders that I don't grow in my fishroom.

Honestly, I don't have any fish - including a bunch of wild pikes - that won't eat worms (and/or pellets, for that matter).

captmicha

Members

Honestly, I don't have any fish - including a bunch of wild pikes - that won't eat worms (and/or pellets, for that matter).
That's my plan eventually with the worms you gave me.

I thought the platys would add some color to my tank in addition to some snacks.

captmicha

Members

Any thoughts on the TB? Would you medicate a full 30 days?

It's such a PITA... With a 25% WC before each dose.

Are there any short cuts? Can adding plants and lowering feed buy me a day in-between without a WC here and there?

Becca

Members
You can't cure TB in fish and it's contagious to humans via any open cuts on hands, etc. Feeders are generally just not a good option unless you are growing them yourself from guppies or something that started out healthy. They are an excellent way to kill your fish, foul water, etc.

If you have fish that prefer live food, start a colony of shrimp or see if you can get them to accept frozen krill.