• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Trouble with oto's !!!

Beeman

Members
I know it's not within the realm of cichlids by any means, but we all/most/many/a few keep our cichlids in a community. I have had a **** of a time acclimating oto cats! I started most recently with a group of nine, and quarantined them in half 'seasoned' tank water/half fresh, doing 50% water change once a week. Lost 4 within a couple days, then the rest stayed on strong for 2 weeks. Introduced them to a well established 75, with geo's, angel, corys and plecos. Lost 2 within a couple days. WTF !!!!
I like oto's, and have had the same experience with the last group I purchased. From a group of 5 I purchased last year, only 2 transitioned, yet are going strong!
My water is hard and of high(8) ph. But from what I read, they take parameters 6.5-7.5. Is 8 just too much over and beyond?

otos are known to be sensitive. I've not had them for a while, but the rule of thumb was always let the fish store take the losses and never buy otos unless they've been in the shop for two weeks. (same with rummynose tetras)

Yes, I'd say 8 is a bit too high . . . .

JasonC

Members
I have had the same problems with the buggers too... seems no matter how many I buy at once, I always am left with one by the end of quarantine. frustrating, but fun lil fish.

Becca

Members
This is why I hate Otos. We even put some in a tank with a nice low pH and slowly acclimated them, but they still didn't take.

They are a really cool little fish but they are sensitive and, if I recall, very susceptible to intestinal parasites.

chriscoli

Administrator
When I got mine from Rachel, she warned me that they need to go into a very mature tank....if its too clean (ie not enough biofilm to support them) they dwindle.

verbal

CCA Members
I had zebra Otos for a while. I didn't do anything special for them, but it was a mature tank. I got mine in auction so they were probably past the early affirmation period.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app