• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tropheus

benz3901

Members
I currently keep Ilangi, Mpulungu, mtoto, nkonwde, kalambwe, yungu green, maswa duboisi. All of them are WC.

WendyFish

Members
Yep, we have a bulu point cherry spot group that we've had about 18 months, probably will set up another group in the next couple of months.

I like trophs a lot. They are active and interesting, and kept in sufficient numbers, ours are not psycho. They don't eat their young so they make nice colonies spanning juvie to adult; they aren't aggressive towards anything else we have kept in the tank. If it's not another tropheus they seem completely indifferent (if sometimes momentarily curious, they get over it after they see what it is).

I have found them really social to humans and extremely enjoyable.

What are you keeping?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have red Moliros and duboisi in a 75. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Raven20

Members
I keep Ikola and Red Moliro.....i'm looking to start another colony...I want to start with about 20 fry...if anyone has fry their selling I would be interested...

blkmjk

Members
After seeing the other tropheus video what size tank do you need to keep these guys in? Can you mix different types and not get hybrids ? Could you keep brichridi with them? Or no?

Drew

Ading522

Members
After seeing the other tropheus video what size tank do you need to keep these guys in? Can you mix different types and not get hybrids ? Could you keep brichridi with them? Or no?

Drew

Tank sizes are not that important according to my research but numbers..these guys are aggressive towards each other..they have their own social hierarchy or "pecking order".. Its advisable to keep them in groups of 12 or more..the more the better the spread of aggression..mixing tropheus like other fish results in hybrids as they can readily mate or at least that's what they seem to want to do all the time.. Be careful mixing tropheus of the same species ex. Tropheus moori ilangi and moori red rainbow as they can hybridize.. 4' tanks seem to be okay..just overstock..you could keep brichardi with them as what I've learned from talking to Dave of Dave's rare fish, but you'd have to ensure you can get food to those fish in the bottom area of the tank as tropheus feed with gusto..so he recommended small but frequent feedings.. You can call Dave..very friendly and accommodating if you've got more questions.. Its worked for me with all my questions..lol

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

WendyFish

Members
I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 75.
Agree. Tank setup is important to them as well, as they're territorial. You want to make sure there are very clearly distinct areas so that you don't effectively have one male running the whole tank.

Also agree on prior point regarding numbers. I have a group of 30 and they seldom fight more than a couple of minutes before one of them decides it wants to back down and loses the adversary in the crowd... but once they get bigger, they also need some room to run in order to achieve that.

The other thing to consider is, candidly, unless you get lucky they're expensive to get into compared to a lot of other fish. If it's a long term labor of love and assuming they breed, they will return that investment readily (I sold my first several spawns in September at the ECC Konvention for $400) but it is a reasonable chunk of cash up front to do it in a way that has a high likelihood of being highly successful.