• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tricks to Maximize a single Tank?

I'm looking for Purchasable or DIY tricks I can use to squeeze the absolute most utility out of my single 40 gallon breeder.

For this tank I have the following objectives:
-overstock the tank in a community tank setting
-breed some or all of the following: german blue rams, panda corydoras or similar, plecos, or other dwarf cichilds, or angelfish
-carve out space for young fry to have safety in this community tank

To achieve these aims i'm already doing/considering the following:
-lots of filtration (running 2-3 Aqua clear 70s on this 40 gallon tank)
-heavily planting the tank and adding lots of cover and cave holes
-i have several marina hang on breeder boxes for fry

What are some other tricks or items i might consider to squeeze the absolute most out of this tank considering my objectives? Does anyone know where i can find reliable tank dividers?

Thanks

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If you're using HOBs, I'd suggest adding a pre-filter to the intake, otherwise they can suck up fry and/or plants. You'll have to keep them clean though otherwise it will restrict flow. Just remember that most/all fish will at least try to eat eggs and fry, but catfish, loaches and snails especially.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
You could pretty effectively make a 40 breeder into 2x20 gallon tanks by installing a matten filter in the middle that doubles as a tank divider. That's what I did to one of mine and it's working rather well.

thanks for the responses.

H halak Unfortunately a sump is out of the question, as i'm out of space. Working on trying to keep maybe a few little 10 gallons for side projects and pairings, we'll see if that flies.

Matten filter divider sounds ok. IndianaSam IndianaSam How often do you have to clean that thing? and what happens to the separated fish when you have to remove it for cleaning?

I was also considering simply using conventional dividers. Does anyone have a brand recommendation for dividers?

DiscusnAfricans DiscusnAfricans thanks for reminder on the pre-filter intake reminder for the HOB!

Acara19

CCA Members
Ah, so you want the good old moneytope? Here is how Id do them, especially a 40
Stock with bristlenose plecos, red ramshorns, magenta (or any) mystery snails, neocaridina, and either guppies with swordtails or mollies with platies. That way the smaller of those species won't be able to predate on the fry of the larger one. Xiphos and poecilia can't hybridize either so I like to take advantage of that. Heavily plant with some dense species like hornwort or guppy grass, and or frogbit. Frogbit has very dense roots. Once there is a decent population of fry that the adult fish can't eat they tend to learn that the fry aren't really food. If you want to speed that up you can keep an entire batch of fry, raise them to a size where they're barely out of the edible size for adults, and release them into the tank. I do that with my guppy tanks and I barely lose fry. I have too many guppies at this point
Just my 3 cents 😁

Ah, so you want the good old moneytope? Here is how Id do them, especially a 40
Stock with bristlenose plecos, red ramshorns, magenta (or any) mystery snails, neocaridina, and either guppies with swordtails or mollies with platies. That way the smaller of those species won't be able to predate on the fry of the larger one. Xiphos and poecilia can't hybridize either so I like to take advantage of that. Heavily plant with some dense species like hornwort or guppy grass, and or frogbit. Frogbit has very dense roots. Once there is a decent population of fry that the adult fish can't eat they tend to learn that the fry aren't really food. If you want to speed that up you can keep an entire batch of fry, raise them to a size where they're barely out of the edible size for adults, and release them into the tank. I do that with my guppy tanks and I barely lose fry. I have too many guppies at this point
Just my 3 cents 😁

I really like this idea.

My issue is that i'm trying to juggle the money interests with my love for dwarf / new world cichlids. .