• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Trickle filter media

Klown

Members
Since it is 2 am and I cant sleep I may as well be productive and find out some information.

My new 75 gal tank stand is almost completed. My next part of the project is to get my DIY filter up and running. I plan on creating a trickle filter from a rubbermaid tub and a plastic drawer set. I know that in all the videos they all show the plastic pot scrubbers that are round... I cant find them anywhere here. What I did find are some sponges that have te same plastic as a cover basically. Im guessing these would do just as well?

Also I always see the same style drawers that are really deep/tall... Can you use the ones that are about 2-3 inches tall? How big do you want them to be for a 75 gal tank. I know more is better when it come to filtration, but I cant seem to find the big ones anywhere.

Where can I get this filter floss stuff? Does it go by any other name?

For the rest of the media I plan on using the fluval stuff you can get that is in the mesh bags.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't use sponges as your main media. They will saturate and I don't think you would end up getting any flow through them. Ultimately what you are looking for is something with a lot of surface area to grow bacteria. Bioballs work. Pot scrubbers work. I've even seen people use the plastic army men.

Try ebay for the pot scrubbies. They shouldn't be so hard to find.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
They should work. Search around for availablility of the scrubbers. You should be able to get them at a dollar store or something.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I copied Charlie's design and got my pot scurbbers at a dollar store. Think that they were in packs of 8 or so for a buck.

Sponges will develop all sorts of nasty stuff on the inside that can't be cleaned. Bath scrubbies will work, but seem expensive. Bioballs will work well and are readily available. Their shape is conducive to aeration in as emmersed application.

Whichever way you go, the first drawer should be filled with coarse Porret foam, then fine to remove detritus. I used disposable blue-bonded pads atop filter floss for a while and it worked, but not as efficiently as the Porret that lives there now.

ezrk

Members
Whichever way you go, the first drawer should be filled with coarse Porret foam, then fine to remove detritus. I used disposable blue-bonded pads atop filter floss for a while and it worked, but not as efficiently as the Porret that lives there now.

I use coarse poret, fine poret and then the blue bonded stuff. I find that order keeps things from being clogged the longest while providing reasonable filtration.

Hawkman2000

Members
From what I understand, polyfill is is basically the same thing as filter floss. At least I think I read that somewhere.

I think I remember seeing filter floss at Pristine Aquarium.

Klown

Members
For my filter, what size pipe should I use for the over flow? my tank is only 75 gallons. Also the plastic drawers I'm using are only 2 inches deep.. . I have six drawers, but might pick up another sex of three if needed.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think pipe size is a function of your return pump, but could be mistaken. I'll let one of the more experienced sump builders chime in.

ezrk

Members
You should think about how to do the overflow. I went with a Herbie set-up with an over the back return to a spray bar which I like.

on a 110g tank I have an Eheim 1262 as return pump and have a 3/4" main return line (throttled back by around 1/3) which is a full siphon and a 1-1.25" (can't remember which) emergency durso style overflow.

Were I to do this over I would probably do something similar, although I might go for the "beananimal" set-up with three drains for extra safety but the herbie is fine.

I would also probably do a 1" main drain line (again likely throttled back a fair amount) and a 1.5" emergency line. Some greater oversizing would allow a few more options if I ever wanted/needed them.

There are a fair number of tools and useful threads on reefcentral on sumps, the marine people are really the leaders on this.

We also have water sensors that are hooked up to a power relay controlling the pump. If everything should ever clog up completely and water started overflowing the tank this will cut off the return pump. We thought it was worth $40 for the piece of mind.

Klown

Members
My tank and filter are up and running. Im missing a heater to go in the sump. Do I need a heater for the size of the tank or just the size of the sump? My tank is at 73.5 degrees without a heater, so I only need a heater to boost it up a little.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hawkman2000

Members
I could be wrong, but I think the u bend on the back is supposed to be close to the top of the tank. This could be the cause of the noise. The water could be tumbling down the pipe, splashing at the u bend and echoing though the vent pipe.

Also, I don't think that the u bend on the pluming inside the tank has to be that deep. This could also be causing noise.

I know its probably temporary, but I recommend finding something other than painters tape to hold everything in place. Its not exactly aquarium safe.