• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Too many snails

CichlidDan

Members
I have a lot of tiny snails right now and was wondering how to try to control the population? I don’t want to get rid of all of them. Current stock in the tank are guppies, neon tetras and red cherry shrimp if that info is needed. Thanks

CichlidDan

Members
Thanks! I reduced the feedings but did not think of the plants, I have some that are dying and some dead parts in the aquarium so I’ll take those out.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I just went scorched earth on my snail population in my 75 gallon. They got so bad they were affecting water quality. I took everything out of the tank and did a full snail removal twice (at night to ensure they were out and about) getting rid of ALL snails I could find. I even sifted the top layer of sand. That did the trick for me. Some eggs still survived, but I was able to GREATLY reduce numbers.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I'm experiencing an assassin snail plague right now. My glass is covered with literally hundred of sesame seed sized young. I try to remove as many as possible with little impact. I pull all adults I see above the substrate line. I'm tempted to go the chemical route to "nuke them from orbit" but that would result in a total tear down and reboot of the tank, which has mineralized topsoil as the base.

Do loaches eat assassin snails?

Blaise