• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tony's 180 Malawi Setup

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry it took me so long, but here's a video. I'll post some pics when I can take some that I'm happy with. :rolleyes:

Final stock includes mostly Lake Malawi haps, mbuna and a few peacocks. Species include N venustus, N polystigma, N fusco, C borleyi, P spilonotus, P taeniolatus (Empress and Tiger), S fryeri, E anagenys, P milomo, P electra, O tetrastigma, C moori, various Metriaclima and Cynotilapia and a few especially durable/mean Aulonocara (Undu Reef, albino Eureka, OB).

There's also a few fish that I liked that I snuck in from the other lakes; a breeding pair of brichardi, a tropheus and a nyererei that all seem to do their own thing.

Yes, there are a lot of fish in this tank (I told you, Caleb). Many of the cool ones above are in grow-out size and in groups. When they start bumping heads, I'll pull extra males and most of the females .... and enjoy the colors coming out. (I can't wait) :D

Eventually, I'd like to go big male predators in this tank - Nimbochromis, D compressiceps, Exochromis, Champsochromis, Tyranochromis. Most of these guys grow really quick though and it's tough to find some of the rarer ones in 2"-3" sizing. So I'll wait to add them later as 4"-5" variety that you see for sale.

The afras, peacocks and medium-sized haps will be moved over to the 150 that I got from Chris (reel) and sit on the opposite side of the room.

(So that's the plan for now anyway...)

You guys are my friends and critisism is more than welcome. Seriously, tell me if I'm doing something stupid so I can fix it. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ni3XsLwnW68&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ni3XsLwnW68&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

iamzrad

Members
You guys are my friends and critisism is more than welcome. Seriously, tell me if I'm doing something stupid so I can fix it. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

All those fish are stupid and useless. I'll gladly get rid of them for you. :wub:

Nice setup and awesome stock. Can't wait to see it in person. :)

Tony

All those fish are stupid and useless. I'll gladly get rid of them for you. :wub:

Nice setup and awesome stock. Can't wait to see it in person. :)

lmao, Phil.

Thanks for the kind words. You're welcome to drop by anytime, brotherman. :)

Tony

Nice setup! Great job on the w/d.

I didn't know John Locke was your dad :happy0100:

OMG, lol, missed this comment yesterday, DC. He gets that all the time. The whole family is into Lost, so he really plays it up. It's hilarious.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
GREAT PROJECT! BUT THE 180 ISNT RIGHT. LEAVE IT AT MY HOUSE ON SATURDAY SO WE CAN ADD SOME REAL PREDATORS. LMAOOOOO KIDDING YA MAN. TONY YOU AND LOCKE DID A EXCELLENT JOB. DISCUS AS ALWAYS YOU CAME THROUGH TO SAVE THE DAY. WAY TO GO FELLAS. THATS THE CCA WAY! NOW YOU GOT ME IN THE MOOD TO START MY LIGHT PROJECT....THANK YOU!

MarkK

CCA Members
Nice tank. I'd like to see more pics of the "natural" rock layout and learn how to do that myself.

longstocking

Members
It looks great Tony !

Very natural with the sand. Hopefully you are happy with that choice.

I like river rock with these types of fish in a show tank.. but that comes down to personal preferance. And I like large rocks in large tanks. Still that is all personal preferance.... if you like it that is all that matters !

fischfan13

Banned
Absolutely great tank.
If those "anti-Malawi" and "anti-African" people look real close you will see NO torn of nipped fins!
Have to agree with Sarah :)angry3:), River Rock would compliment the tank very nicely.

F8LBITE

Members
Nice fish dude! Makes me wish I would've gotten a 180G instead of a 125G. The only thing I would say is to get some big rocks in there so its not so wide open.

Tony

Thanks so much guys. I really do love the way it came out with the white sand and larger, chunkier rocks.

River rocks always look really cool in big setups, but you really need to have some *very* heavy rocks to build any sort of cave-action. I'll keep an eye out though for some other ideas and rocks.

My old tank was chalk full of rocks and it really limited the amount of swimming room the big guys had. If I stick with the current plan, it'll end up all very large fish who need some room to stretch their fins. I think the other tank (with the mbunas) and smaller rock-dwelling haps (otopharynx) will have a bunch or rocks on one end with a ton of caves.

Anyone know anyone with a good deal on a 220? lol, jk. ;)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
WOW
Very nice. I saw the thread yesterday but just got to it.
Man, my discus may have to go to a smaller tank so I can change the 150 to look like yours. NICE

Tony

WOW
Very nice. I saw the thread yesterday but just got to it.
Man, my discus may have to go to a smaller tank so I can change the 150 to look like yours. NICE

Thanks Pat! That means a lot to me, coming from you, el presidente. :)

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
It may not be such a bad thing, especially considering that I could sleep in it..... which is what would happen if I brought home another big tank. ;)

Heck, I'd even have room for a small tank in there with me. Say, maybe a 5 gallon?
on the + side if she gets cold whe can join you in the tank.