• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tight schooling tetras that can go with my acara

Acara19

CCA Members
Just looking for something that looks nice, schools tight, is big enough to not get eaten, and can handle a high pH.
The acara is one of Jeff rapps' esmeraldas gold acara, she's about 4 inches long and the tank is 29 gallons.

Becca

Members
I feel like you'd need a longer tank to encourage that kind of behavior in any larger tetra. A 29 gallon is pretty small for a 4" Acara.

Also, why is the pH high (what do you mean by "high")?

Acara19

CCA Members
pH is high just because that's how my tap water comes out, and maybe instead of tetras I could go with some sort of barb? Maybe tiger barbs?

7.5 pH is not that hard and most domesticated tetra can tolerate. All tight schooling tetra are small fish: bloodfin, rummynose, bloodfin, neon and cardinal. Large deep body tetra do not school and males engage more in territorial fight with age.

stany

CCA Members
I agree with CichlidAddict. You may want to look at pencil fish. My Beckfordi group of 8 school sometimes in small groups, sometimes together and will occupy the top of the tank away from trouble.