• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thoughts on cycling a new aquarium.

Carolineep

CCA Members
Please join in the discussion.

Be ye lurker or be ye known let the education be a flown *cough*
How do you cycle a tank tips and tricks besides time.

This is brand new tank with no seeded filtration, substrate etc.

Please ask questions and join this discussion.

Oh you do not have to make your answer rhyme.

C

I have two tanks cycling ATM they have been cooking for three weeks now. It got me thinking of all the ways people get tanks ready please share yours.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
FLUVAL Cycle Concentrated Biological Booster, Tetra SafeStart PLUS, Culture Max by Matrix Aquatix is supposed to be awesome stuff. I have plenty of sponge filters running in my stocked aquariums.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Squeeze brown "sludge" from a mature filter into/onto the new tank filter. New colony is jump started and ready to roll.

mchambers

Former CCA member
You can buy some pure ammonia at a hardware store, and add that to the tank periodically. There are instructions on how to do this all over the web.

Carolineep

CCA Members
I wonder about the products that say instantly cycle tanks.
Do they really create a stable environment?

i may have to test a few products when I set up row of 20s SCIENCE !

CichlidDan

Members
I use filter media from a mature tank if you don't know anyone with aquariums or don't have other aquariums to get media from some LFS might be able to give you some used media if you ask them.

Last edited:

FishEggs

Problem with getting used filter media is the risk of any pathogens in those tanks being transfer to your tank. You should only get it from a trusted source and I wouldn't trust it from a LFS.

Robinhud

CCA Members
All dirt has biological properties go to here your dog or neighbors dog peas all the Time and get a scoop. Plan e it in your filter and let it develope.

londonloco

Members
I use seachem stability, in my fw tanks and just recently in a upgraded reef. I was VERY skeptical the first time I used it, but to date, it hasn't failed me yet.

captmicha

Members
Please join in the discussion.

Be ye lurker or be ye known let the education be a flown *cough*
How do you cycle a tank tips and tricks besides time.

This is brand new tank with no seeded filtration, substrate etc.

Please ask questions and join this discussion.

Oh you do not have to make your answer rhyme.

C

I have two tanks cycling ATM they have been cooking for three weeks now. It got me thinking of all the ways people get tanks ready please share yours.
I usually use some of another tank's filter media. Or seed it with fish food. Usually also snails whether I want them or not.

Fishn'

CCA Members
I will use my own recycled media and/or sponge. I do not use it from another source/tank outside of my control.

I have run a sponge for a month in an established tank along side the current system. Then I simply move it to the new tank.

Or, I will buy a media bag and fill it with said media, place near the intake of the established tank and then place that in the new HOB or canister when setting up the new tank.

I will use some of the "bacteria in a bottle" to assist along with a new tank but I personally choose not to rely on it.

All that being said, at three weeks if you have been putting something in the tank for bacteria to eat and multiply, ammonia, dying plant matter, or even water from a tank during water changes (with nitrate/nitrite), then you should be good to go. Just keep an eye on it and change water a bit more frequently at the beginning.