• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking of putting together a shellie species specfic tank - what's people's experience?

rvaducks

CCA Members
I have started to toy with the idea of putting together tank with multis or some other small shell dweller. This would be brand new for me, I have only ever kept new world fish but I think this would be a cool addition and their behavior is so unique. I'm thinking a 20g but would love folks thoughts. I have 33g but it has 2 decent sized chips in a corner and I'm nervous about that.

Leffler817

CCA Members
20high or 20long?

Definitely worth trying. Shellies are FUN!!! There are several people in the club who have different varieties. It’s shocking to experience getting nipped on the arm while you’re cleaning or rearranging the tank! Wondering where the assailant came from and how the heck a 1” fish would think to take a run at something 4000 times its size would make sense!!! :p:D:eek:

Jeromee

Members
Personally I'd fill the 33 with water and let it sit for a week or two and as long as nothing leaks I'd run with it. I have a few tanks with chips and no issues. As far as multis go I have 3 tanks with them, absolutely love them. 20G, 50 lowboy and a 55 gallon. I am considering combining into a 125 or larger. They are awesome fish, one of my favorites to sit back and watch. If you decide to start a tank send me a PM once you have it cycled with shells.

rvaducks

CCA Members
Thanks for the offer. I'm more and more settled on building put a tank. I'm leaning toward either picking up a 40g breeder or using a 55 standard. which I already have. Seems like a no brainer to go with the tank I have already but the down side is the extra height takes away focus from the bottom of the tank where the shellies will be. The other worry I have is over breeding. I don't really have any fish to feed culls to and while I can cull with clove oil, it not something I prefer.

Jeromee

Members
Thanks for the offer. I'm more and more settled on building put a tank. I'm leaning toward either picking up a 40g breeder or using a 55 standard. which I already have. Seems like a no brainer to go with the tank I have already but the down side is the extra height takes away focus from the bottom of the tank where the shellies will be. The other worry I have is over breeding. I don't really have any fish to feed culls to and while I can cull with clove oil, it not something I prefer.

Pretty sure your LFS will happily take your excess, there's also the fish club auctions and forums to give them away/sell. Don't feed small foods and keep the temp on the lower end of their range and you won't get as many fry.

rvaducks

CCA Members
Pretty sure your LFS will happily take your excess, there's also the fish club auctions and forums to give them away/sell. Don't feed small foods and keep the temp on the lower end of their range and you won't get as many fry.

Just picked up a 60g breeder and will be building a stand this weekend. Next step, filtration. Do you reccomend a canister filter? Maybe an FX4? I know a sponge filter would be safer for fry but I'm not neccesarily keeping for the intent of breeding.

Also, with a 60g, should I keep it a species only tank? I want the focus on the shellies but is there a single fish or two that could be added to provide something else cool to look at?

dogofwar

CCA Members
More surface area is definitely what you want for shellies. And, of course, shells (or 1/2" PVC pieces) for them to hide and breed.

What are the dimensions of a 60 breeder? If it's a tall 55g, I'd add some fish for the upper reaches of the tank because the shellies will stay at the bottom and the tank will seem empty. I've not tried it but Cyprichromis could be a choice also from Lake Tang. Something I have done is kept them with goodeid livebearers and/or schooling fish like giant danios.

rvaducks

CCA Members
More surface area is definitely what you want for shellies. And, of course, shells (or 1/2" PVC pieces) for them to hide and breed.

What are the dimensions of a 60 breeder? If it's a tall 55g, I'd add some fish for the upper reaches of the tank because the shellies will stay at the bottom and the tank will seem empty. I've not tried it but Cyprichromis could be a choice also from Lake Tang. Something I have done is kept them with goodeid livebearers and/or schooling fish like giant danios.

It's more of a short 75g. 48l x 18w x 16t

Adamo

CCA Members
Personally I'd fill the 33 with water and let it sit for a week or two and as long as nothing leaks I'd run with it. I have a few tanks with chips and no issues. As far as multis go I have 3 tanks with them, absolutely love them. 20G, 50 lowboy and a 55 gallon. I am considering combining into a 125 or larger. They are awesome fish, one of my favorites to sit back and watch. If you decide to start a tank send me a PM once you have it cycled with shells.
Hey! I'm also setting up a shellie tank, it's currently 2 weeks into cycling with a couple more to go but otherwise it's all set up. I'm new here and couldn't figure out how to PM you 😬 but would love to talk with you when you have a chance!

Jeromee

Members
Hey! I'm also setting up a shellie tank, it's currently 2 weeks into cycling with a couple more to go but otherwise it's all set up. I'm new here and couldn't figure out how to PM you 😬 but would love to talk with you when you have a chance!
You just have to make a few more posts to PM or my email is my screen name at gmail

dogofwar

CCA Members
"Cycling" shouldn't take weeks. Just get some filter fluff, a sponge filter or something with existing bacteria from another healthy tank and you're good to go. Instantly.

Adamo

CCA Members
"Cycling" shouldn't take weeks. Just get some filter fluff, a sponge filter or something with existing bacteria from another healthy tank and you're good to go. Instantly.
Well, I did use media and a used cartridge filter from a previous tank to help get it started, and I've definitely heard of folks starting up their tanks sooner But I've been testing every two days and it's still in a nitrite/nitrate spike that's a little less than ideal. It might be ok but I'd rather give a little bit more time and have it be a little more stable

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Matt's question is about what is creating the nitrate/nitrite. The only way you have nitrite in a tank is if it is present in your tap water or some organism is creating ammonia that is converted to nitrite.

rvaducks

CCA Members
Matt's question is about what is creating the nitrate/nitrite. The only way you have nitrite in a tank is if it is present in your tap water or some organism is creating ammonia that is converted to nitrite.

Oh good point. I lost track of who was asking what.