• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking of a change...

MonteSS

Members
How about the Sev and a small group of Geo Tapajos orangeheads?

Never had the orangeheads so not sure how much room 4 or 5 need.

...Bill

rich_one

Members
How about the Sev and a small group of Geo Tapajos orangeheads?

Never had the orangeheads so not sure how much room 4 or 5 need.

...Bill
Funny you mentioned that, because I've always wanted them. Got outbid for them at an auction few months back. I'd actually love to get my hands on some at some point. So many fish, so few tanks! LOL...

-Rich

toddnbecka

Members
That's why we have so many tanks. I went through many years of wanting to change things around, try a new fish, then find it wouldn't work with the resident stock. You just need to get enough tanks to keep multiple species with suitable tankmates, maybe a few more if you want to breed and grow out any of them. Even being the lazy slob that I am I don't mind the time and effort involved in maintaining a dozen mid-size or larger tanks (20-125 gallons) because I have enough fish to keep me happily occupied. :D

rich_one

Members
That's why we have so many tanks. I went through many years of wanting to change things around, try a new fish, then find it wouldn't work with the resident stock. You just need to get enough tanks to keep multiple species with suitable tankmates, maybe a few more if you want to breed and grow out any of them. Even being the lazy slob that I am I don't mind the time and effort involved in maintaining a dozen mid-size or larger tanks (20-125 gallons) because I have enough fish to keep me happily occupied. :D
Amen.

If I can ever get out of this dang financial depression, caused by wifey's ongoing unemployment, I can be unchanged, and maybe start some more tank acquisition! LOL... I do plan on having a full blown fish room one day. But today's not the day, sadly.

-Rich

rich_one

Members
I kept rainbows and larger severums together without incident. This was in a 125 though.
Hmmm.... and one of my absolute favorite fish all time is boesemanis!

Man... when you start thinking of changing tanks around, it is crazy how wide opens options are at the start of the process... sheesh!

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
As Holly said, I have a pair of rainbows I got from her in a 120 with sevs, uaru, and chocolates. They have spawned and kept the fry for about 2 weeks before they were finally picked off one by one. They can hang with some of the bigger boys, but I think you would be pushing it with an adult sev in a 55 with another pair of cichlids.

rich_one

Members
As Holly said, I have a pair of rainbows I got from her in a 120 with sevs, uaru, and chocolates. They have spawned and kept the fry for about 2 weeks before they were finally picked off one by one. They can hang with some of the bigger boys, but I think you would be pushing it with an adult sev in a 55 with another pair of cichlids.
Gotcha.

I definitely think I'm going to unload some of my current stock, and move some fish around, and make some changes. Largely, I'm just not real happy any longer with one of my 125s. The only fish I really still like in there is my hartwegi and kinda/sorta my male festae (I'd like him more if I could find a female for him... but I have recently discovered that acquiring a large female festae is not unlike hitting the Mega Millions lottery... nearly friggin' impossible). I do love the sev in the 55, but I have a strong need for more color. I just have more thinking to do, clearly... I certainly appreciate you all chiming in... actually helps me sort through where I'm going with this.

-Rcih

toddnbecka

Members
For for color in the 55; I have single male ruby green Hap in a 75 that housed my red severums and silver dollars along with a group of eureka red peacocks for some time. The sev's and silver dollars were moved into the 125 when it came along, but they all lived together just fine in the 75 for months while they grew out (aside from the sev's eating all the fry.) SInce they were moved out I've seen a much better survival rate among the eureka red and even the Synodontis multi fry that turn up. The ruby green was, and still is the tough guy of the tank, but not even a split fin among any of them.

rich_one

Members
Always fun when you start thinking about redoing things. Man... so many options!

I'm actually a bit intrigued by this thought of mixing SA/CA w/ Africans. I've always read that it tends to be frowned on... but knowing I have fellow club members doing this with no issue, is really making me think of some interesting possibilities.

Hmmm...

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Okay, so here's a thought. You think I could get away with adding the sev in a 125 along with a hartwegi, 2 bocourti, and a pearsi? Then, in the 55, I could maybe try a rainbow cichlid pair, a group of small geos (orange heads?), and maybe some rainbows and hatchets???

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Okay, so here's the new plan so far. I am going to move the Sev. When the smoke clears, I think the tanks will look like this... let me know your thoughts? I appreciate you guys for walking through this with me:

125 gallon - festae colony. A group of 6 juvie festae. May add something else to go with them... haven't decided yet... but they will be the stars of the show.

125 gallon - 1 Oscar, 2 Lyonsi, 1 Snook, 1 Synspillum, 1 Zonatum, 1 Hartwegi and 1 Severum. I realize I will probably need to keep a good eye on this tank, and be prepared to remove somebody if need be. My favorites in this group are my lyonsi, my hartwegi, my zonatum and my sev. So it is my hope that at the very least, I can keep them in there long term. Here's to crossing my fingers!

55 gallon - Pair of Red Ceibal Centurions, group of Gymnos sp. Norte, and some tetras of some sort... I current have buenos aires... maybe I'll get a different also. No heater.

33 gallon - Will use as a Q tank/fry tank, should I get any fry from my lyonsi or festae down the road.

I think this shapes out okay... thoughts?

-Rich

rich_one

Members
I think that you have some really awesome fish and that you need to take some pictures and post them up.

:happy0180:
LOL... thanks! I have 5 issues though:

1. I suck at taking pics.

2. My digital camera broke.

3. I suck at taking pics.

4. My cell phone sucks at taking pics... which compounds the fact that I also suck at taking pics. And finally...

5. I totally suck at taking pics.

Any good photographers who live near Waldorf and is willing to snap shots in exchange for food and beer (or other libations), please feel free to let me know! LOL...

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Okay, so here's the new plan so far. I am going to move the Sev. When the smoke clears, I think the tanks will look like this... let me know your thoughts? I appreciate you guys for walking through this with me:

125 gallon - festae colony. A group of 6 juvie festae. May add something else to go with them... haven't decided yet... but they will be the stars of the show.

125 gallon - 1 Oscar, 2 Lyonsi, 1 Snook, 1 Synspillum, 1 Zonatum, 1 Hartwegi and 1 Severum. I realize I will probably need to keep a good eye on this tank, and be prepared to remove somebody if need be. My favorites in this group are my lyonsi, my hartwegi, my zonatum and my sev. So it is my hope that at the very least, I can keep them in there long term. Here's to crossing my fingers!

55 gallon - Pair of Red Ceibal Centurions, group of Gymnos sp. Norte, and some tetras of some sort... I current have buenos aires... maybe I'll get a different also. No heater.

33 gallon - Will use as a Q tank/fry tank, should I get any fry from my lyonsi or festae down the road.

I think this shapes out okay... thoughts?

-Rich
So no opinions on this arrangement?

-Rich