• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking of a change...

rich_one

Members
Currently, the chief resident of my 55 gallon tank is a beautiful severum. He's pretty large. Currently, there are maybe 6 Buenos Aires tetras and 4 Bolivan rams. Thing is, I kinda want some more color. I'm wondering if I might be able to get away with adding a group of rainbow cichlids. From a bioload standpoint, I'm willing to move some things around, but I'd really like to keep the sev in their, at the least.

I guess all of that is the long way of saying, can I put a group of rainbow cichlids in a 55 with a large Sev and 4 Bolivian rams, and if so, how many would you recommend? Thanks!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Thinking about moving them and the tetras, actually. I'm thinking of the final stocking to look like:

1 large Sev
5 gymnos sp. Norte
group of rainbows... 5 or 6?

Is that doing too much?

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Ah... okay. Cool. I'll remove the gymnos from that equation then, and see how the rams cope.

Thanks!

-Rich

Rainbows are pairing fish. A group will only work if they are youngish IMHO in a 55 -- meaning you won't get the color you want. Rainbows are the most colorful when they are big enough to be frisky. I have two mature pairs in a 58 (36" long), but the tank is extremely heavily planted and I have two distinct areas so the pairs each have their own house. They get very assertive when guarding fry. In my tank, they only have to deal with small tetras, cories and BNs.

I do love rainbows. So you could start with five or six, wait for two pairs, pull those left out and see what happens. I'd remove the Bolivians. I think there would be too much competition among the lower half of the tank. I think they'd hold their own with the sev. I don't know how aggressive the sev would be about going after the fry . . .

rich_one

Members
I'm not particular about the survival of any fry anyway, should that happen. So... got it. Move the rams, and either find an established pair, or get a group until a pair forms.

Question, before I go on my rainbow cichlid seeking mission... is there a small enough cichlid that could make it with the sev, other than rams, that have great colors and could be in a group, instead of just a pair? Just curious, in case I am overlooking a potential option. Thanks!

-Rich

dogofwar

CCA Members
Although it's not "by the book" and assuming that you're going to keep them all in tap water, you could actually go with some peacocks or mellower haps with the sev. Yellow labs that are big enough not to get eaten could work too.

It's much harded to mix and match new worlds in a 55g...

Matt

rich_one

Members
Although it's not "by the book" and assuming that you're going to keep them all in tap water, you could actually go with some peacocks or mellower haps with the sev. Yellow labs that are big enough not to get eaten could work too.

It's much harded to mix and match new worlds in a 55g...

Matt
Gotcha. Hmmm... I hadn't thought of trying some old worlds. I have to give this some more thought, before making a move. I think I'm about to do some major fish shuffling with my tanks, and get some different species in. Need to figure this out some more.

Thanks for the info and advice, all. And please feel free to add on, as I mull all of this over.

-Rich

Plenipotentiary-at-large
My 55s

First:

9 juvenile pre-adult discus
8-9 Sterbai Corydoras
3-5 Bumblebee Cats
3 CW007 Corydoras
4 very juvenile Geo. altifrons
2 small hatchetfish
8-9 Diamond tetras
Pair of Keyhole cichlids
2 large yellow ancistrus
A few bloodfin and emperor tetras
White mystery snails

Filtered by Eheim 2026 and a HOT magnum both with sponge pre-filters and tank is slathered internally with java moss w/ pennywort and water sprite. This tank is apparently bomb-proof as the water stays crystal clear even if while I'm traveling for 3-4 weeks between water changes.

Second:
5 large Orange krobei
4 large A. oblomgums
4 large Nicaraguan cichlids
2 Bolivian rams
2 6" Columbian pike
4 medium Guninacara
8 Corydoras arcuatus
1 yellow ancistrus
3 black Corydoras schultzei

Filtered by Eheim 2017, Aquaclear 110 and one dense foam filter w/ powerhead - planted with Anubias and a lot of Java moss. This tank has become similarly resilient since the Eheim was added to replace a power head with a coarse foam unit.

Too much? From my perspective you're not even close but it really depends primarily on your filtration, secondarily on your water-changing schedule, and thereafter on how heavily and/or often you feed and what else is inside the tank, like plants, algae, etc. that potentially contribute to cycling and nutrient loading/unloading. Java moss has a lot of surface area and the established colonies I have growing on driftwood look fantastic and I believe contribute significantly to the health of the tank. Admittedly these tanks are pushing the envelope as far as stocking but depending on your hardware and habits there's a lot of latitude for what one can do/pull off/get away with, even in a 55.

Unless your filtration is just borderline adequate, I'd say you have some room to play with stocking. I find Columbian tetras to be much showier than BAs, and think Biotodoma (cupid) cichlids are the bomb - pretty in the way that Bolivian rams are but larger and more flamboyant in a pastel, iridescent highlight sort of way.

Have fun.

rich_one

Members
First:

9 juvenile pre-adult discus
8-9 Sterbai Corydoras
3-5 Bumblebee Cats
3 CW007 Corydoras
4 very juvenile Geo. altifrons
2 small hatchetfish
8-9 Diamond tetras
Pair of Keyhole cichlids
2 large yellow ancistrus
A few bloodfin and emperor tetras
White mystery snails

Filtered by Eheim 2026 and a HOT magnum both with sponge pre-filters and tank is slathered internally with java moss w/ pennywort and water sprite. This tank is apparently bomb-proof as the water stays crystal clear even if while I'm traveling for 3-4 weeks between water changes.

Second:
5 large Orange krobei
4 large A. oblomgums
4 large Nicaraguan cichlids
2 Bolivian rams
2 6" Columbian pike
4 medium Guninacara
8 Corydoras arcuatus
1 yellow ancistrus
3 black Corydoras schultzei

Filtered by Eheim 2017, Aquaclear 110 and one dense foam filter w/ powerhead - planted with Anubias and a lot of Java moss. This tank has become similarly resilient since the Eheim was added to replace a power head with a coarse foam unit.

Too much? From my perspective you're not even close but it really depends primarily on your filtration, secondarily on your water-changing schedule, and thereafter on how heavily and/or often you feed and what else is inside the tank, like plants, algae, etc. that potentially contribute to cycling and nutrient loading/unloading. Java moss has a lot of surface area and the established colonies I have growing on driftwood look fantastic and I believe contribute significantly to the health of the tank. Admittedly these tanks are pushing the envelope as far as stocking but depending on your hardware and habits there's a lot of latitude for what one can do/pull off/get away with, even in a 55.

Unless your filtration is just borderline adequate, I'd say you have some room to play with stocking. I find Columbian tetras to be much showier than BAs, and think Biotodoma (cupid) cichlids are the bomb - pretty in the way that Bolivian rams are but larger and more flamboyant in a pastel, iridescent highlight sort of way.

Have fun.
Wow... those ARE really cool! Thanks, Sam! Much food for thought in this post...

-Rich

rich_one

Members
The tough part, from my perspective, is trying to mix stuff with a big severum.

Matt
Ah. Well, I'm doing some massive reshuffling of my fish. So I guess this is the part where I really just take a breath, and try to focus in on what look I'm heading towards.

The sev looks awesome in the tank... he is a beauty. But everything else pales so much in comparison, I was just really kinda hoping to add a little more color, in addition to him.

I tell ya... never enough fish tanks... LOL...

-Rich

Plenipotentiary-at-large
The tough part, from my perspective, is trying to mix stuff with a big severum.

Matt

Nics would hold their own. They rule the roost in mine and they're not near full-grown, though the Orange Krobei are tough enough. Thinking of giving the oblongums their own 29 as they're big but seem much more inclined to a quieter setting, same with the Guinacara.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Sam,

From experience, the oblongum won't spawn or successfully raise fry except if they're in a really quite environment.... I ended up dividing my old pair's tank (RIP) with some eggcrate to make them think that they needed to guard their babies...without having to actually do it.

I agree that nics could go with the sev...but they also get big and there WILL be a battle when the largest nic male comes of age...

Matt

Nics would hold their own. They rule the roost in mine and they're not near full-grown, though the Orange Krobei are tough enough. Thinking of giving the oblongums their own 29 as they're big but seem much more inclined to a quieter setting, same with the Guinacara.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Right...

...was thinking that the Nics have to get moved. The male is 5" long and still doesn't even have his hump yet and is already your basic terror. Going to be pretty I'm sure but there's a limit.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My oblongum pair (male pushing 6") got bullied by Laetecara...even when breeding.

Their more robust Australoheros cousins tried to disown them from the genus...

I've bred nics in my 2'x2'x1' tanks with about 6" male and 3-4" female. Really cool spawning behavior when there's sand (their eggs aren't adhesive).

Matt

Matt

If the sev isn't really nasty, I really do think rainbow cichlids would work. They won't challenge the sev, but can generally hold their own.

Jonclark has a pair of my babies in a big, mixed tank. Maybe he'll weight in on what else he has with them. My pretty boy below.

tank2.jpg