• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The thing about tall tanks is.....

F8LBITE

Members
...that if Im doing a WC larger than 20% my filter intakes start to suck air. :angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3: Im running Emperor 400's and if I put the extension on the intakes they still suck air even if the end of it is completely submerged. What do you guys and gals with tall (24"+) tanks do?

maddog10

Members
My normal WC is to siphon down to just above the point the filter would lose its prime. When I do big WC, I turn the power filters off. Most of my tanks also have sponge filters, so I keep those going during the WC.

Cartel

Members
My normal WC is to siphon down to just above the point the filter would lose its prime. When I do big WC, I turn the power filters off. Most of my tanks also have sponge filters, so I keep those going during the WC.

Exact same thing I do minus the sponges.

F8LBITE

Members
I guess im used to doing 50% wc's all the time and not have to unplug my filters. I just dont like all the crap that the filter spits out after turning it back on.

fischfan13

Banned
I guess im used to doing 50% wc's all the time and not have to unplug my filters. I just dont like all the crap that the filter spits out after turning it back on.

Jose, or you can do it this way...

Do a water change until you believe the HOB is just about ready to quit.
Refill the tank...
Repeat again with one more water change.

Yes it is a little more work, but you never have to shut off your filter and DO NOT have to deal with the waste that comes out of your HOB after it has restarted.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have all my plugs on surge strips. I just turn them off before the wc. Yeah, there is some stuff that comes out of the filters when they are turned back on, but I don't concern myself with it. The detritus feeders go to town on it and the rest is filtered back up soon enough.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I let the filters run, drain 50% and refill. I don't worry about the filters.
That and I have extensions on most of my filter tubes to get them low.
Some still run at 50% but don't pump much. lol Gets a little noisy too.

F8LBITE

Members
Yeah I like Bills idea, should be easy enough with the pyhon. I dont know what the benefits of R/O water is but my Discus seem to do fine with dechlored tap.