• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

the new rage in the Arowana hobby

Hawkman2000

Members
Not only the uninhabited part, but the water being unpolluted enough to allow such a cool fish to survive, or anything for that matter.

Maybe all the toxic chemicals caused the mutation.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Wow! That is one cool looking fish. Yes, I wonder if they would go over $10K.

I've heard of exceptional specimens of arowana going for upwards of $100K USD in Asia. A new/rare variety such as the one in the article would undoubtedly sell for a small fortune.

It's actually not from India. It's from Myanmar (formerly Burma). This country was ruled by a dictatorship for the past several decades and is one of the poorest and most oppressed places on the planet. But they have had some recent democratic elections and the country is slowly opening up to the outside world.
There was another story yesterday how the UK is going to be retrieving 25 Spitfire fighter planes that were buried there during WWII still in their shipping crates.

It will be interesting to see if this new fish makes it to the U.S. Technically it is not on the CITES list and would not be restricted by the Endangered Species Act so it would be legal to import. However the price of these fish is going to be astronomical (Think $50,000+) since there are so few of them available and they will not likely leave Asia.

Andy

AquaStudent

Members
It's actually not from India. It's from Myanmar (formerly Burma). This country was ruled by a dictatorship for the past several decades and is one of the poorest and most oppressed places on the planet. But they have had some recent democratic elections and the country is slowly opening up to the outside world.
There was another story yesterday how the UK is going to be retrieving 25 Spitfire fighter planes that were buried there during WWII still in their shipping crates.

Andy

Cool planes and cool fish? What more can you ask for in a thread! This is a really cool find. I hope the native population is not destroyed though with the market demand for this fish. It would be amazing to keep but not at the expense of losing them in the wild.

We can only hope that the ornamental fishery is opened up in a sustainable fashion, but in countries like this there is little restriction over it once the country opens up to international trade. That usually comes later once the stocks have become depleted.

There are so many other species from Burma (danios, rasboras, loaches) that could become available that it is exciting.
Andy

lonlangione

Members
I believe this fish is refered to as the "Batik" arowana and I believe they have been bred in captivity already. Lots of nice fish will be coming out of myanmar. The galaxy danio is from there as well.