• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The incredible sensory experience of "blackwater..."

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
We've talked a lot about what exactly "blackwater" is, and many of you probably have better-than-average working knowledge of the stuff by now, right? We've talked about many of the chemical parameters, husbandry requirements, potential downsides, challenges, and precautions for maintaining soft, acidic blackwater conditions in our aquariums.

However, I think what we don't always talk about here is how blackwater aquariums give totally different mental and sensory experience to those who experience them. It all starts with that visual experience of the darkly-stained water. I often visit aquascaping and plant forums, and cannot help but occasionally stifle a smile when I read posts from aquarists, desperate to rid their tank of the tannins released by a new piece of driftwood; I think to myself, "Do they realize how cool what they have is? These hobbyists just don't get it." (click to read more)

Becca

Members
Yeah, you haven't seen a Sphaerichthys or Parosphromenus species until you've seen it in blackwater.