• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thanks, Batfish Aquatics!

Becca

Members
I picked up some great fish at the open house a couple of weeks ago and, I must say, Josh recommended a highly amusing characin, the Marbled Headstander, for my 55 gallon.

You'd think, in that tank, that the Guianacara sp. I'd pined over, or the impulse-buy-adorable Amazon puffers would take the cake, but these big "tetras" have proven to be an amusing front-runner.

They may be the most entertaining fish I've ever owned. They've also given me something useful to do with the duck weed that has inundated the 29 gallon. Rather than throw it away, I can dump it in the 55. Watching them nibble the leaf then slurp up the root like spaghetti is hilarious. They also swim upside down and backwards at times, trying to get into the best position to snag a snack.

Thanks to Josh for recommending these guys! If they were really "schooling" fish, I'd be tempted to fill out the rest of the tank with them.

They have left a few sprigs of java fern alone, and also seem to have no interest in Riccia, which is a shame, since I like that about as much as duckweed. I might try adding some anubias to the tank this week just to see what happens.

Really cool fish :D

Becca

Members
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Yes, yes I am a terrible photographer.

Becca

Members
That's cool you weren't kidding when you said you were going to do a black and white theme.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nope, I really wasn't. Although, as Blaise pointed out, the marbled headstanders aren't "exactly" black and white. When I fell for the yellow and black puffers, I redefined it as a "high contrast" tank.

I think I need a couple of pieces of light-colored/white slate or rock to add into the back drop pieces, but that can wait. I just wanted to get something in there so the fish could feel secure.

Those are sorta dorky fish! But the 'scape is very interesting. A few nice long vals in the corners would compliment it well, I think . . .

Becca

Members
Those are sorta dorky fish! But the 'scape is very interesting. A few nice long vals in the corners would compliment it well, I think . . .

I'm sorry, did you just call the Guianacaras that no one else has "dorky"? Or were you talking specifically the "friendly puffers"... actually... all of these fish did come from Josh, so, of course they're dorky.

I can't put vals in this tank. Along with duckweed, the headstanders will eat pretty much every other plant. I might try some giant anubias varieties for some height and coverage, but there's not much they won't eat. I just hope my supply of duckweed doesn't run out, otherwise I think the narrow-leaf Java fern is on the menu.

Spine

Members
You should try the val anyway. Once it gets rooted it grows pretty fast. I don't think they could wipe it out completely.

Becca

Members
no, the dorky comment was about the stripey headstander thingees

I suppose, yes, they have a dorky appearance, but you should see them in action. If they didn't eat plants I'd buy the 5 Josh has left and put them in the 150. Each also has orange spots on a couple of fins, which is a stunning little point of color on an otherwise murky looking fish. It doesn't really show up in the photos.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I suppose, yes, they have a dorky appearance, but you should see them in action. If they didn't eat plants I'd buy the 5 Josh has left and put them in the 150. Each also has orange spots on a couple of fins, which is a stunning little point of color on an otherwise murky looking fish. It doesn't really show up in the photos.
Found this online
But it shows the orange on its fins

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1388519017.659126.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I was reading up on them. It says they like high flow and a planted tank. They will eat the plants if not provided with enough vegetation in their diet. The article said that when small, a couple can be kept together, but as they grow they should either be housed alone or kept in groups of at least seven. It went on to say that they won't bother other fish, even smaller ones, but will become less tolerant of their own kind as they grow.