• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tell us about your first?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Well what was your first tank?
How many gallons?
What kind of fish/plants/livestock etc...

Mine was 18-19 years ago 10 gallons with marbles and wild caught guppies ( I lived in Antigua at the time) I caught them by a little steam by our house...small little silver guys not pretty at all
They died in a week no knowledge of filtration cycling etc.. I think we had an old cotton charcoal filled filter...I like to think I've come pretty far now.
But you never stop learning.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hannibal

Members
My adventure started with two carnival goldfish (Scooby and Shaggy)that my daughter won. They went into a 10 gallon tank where one died within a month. The other actually lived for over a year and a half and ended up in a 55 gallon before he got swim bladder and died.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
My parents had tanks but
My first was a 10 gallon next to my wall.
Fancy guppies, swords, etc.
platic plants and a plastic diver with air bubbles.

Of course that was around (*^# years ago.

lol
I was like 10 or 12 probably.
Metal framed tank. Slate bottom. Chrome light fixture.
The air pump as I remember had a belt. LOL But that might have been on my dads tank.

In Savannah Ga, 20 long when I was 4, in the tank were the itty bitty sunfish I caught at my first fishing tournament. Metal frame,Slate bottom, air driven filter, screw in bulb two bulb fixture, bunch of plants from the ponds down there with three or four fish

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had a few 10's when I was a kid, but I really got into the hobby at age 11 or 12. I got my first "huge" tank in a 29. I remember saving up my allowance and stocking it with an oscar and an arrowana. Oh, the foolish things we do as children...

maramc

Members
My mom made her own tank when we lived in the Bahamas. Used to go out to the jetty on a dark night, shine a bright light into the water and scoop with a net. Used to get all kinds of neat stuff (shrimp, all kinds of fish and even a minuscule moray once) as well as some good eating for the current inhabitants of the tank.

As far as MY own tank, two months ago :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
My first was a watering trough. It was spring fed and was big enough to get into, like a hot tub size. I put trout and minnows I could catch in the streams and pond. Never fed or cleaned, a perfect tank in a sense. Probably they got stuff to eat when the cows drank after being fed plus some natural bugs and such. Caught my brother with a fish hook in the hand while we were trying to catch again some trout using worms. The trout probably ate some of the colorful minnows we threw in there.

Yeh, he reminds me once in a while.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Those sound awesome that reminds me of a friend who line a barrel with concrete and had live plants and a few fish look like mollies but wider bodies and had that attached to their gutter so everyone it rained it overflowed never remembered him feeding them either but seem to thrive but I guess it's possible when you live in warmer climates

Sped89

Members
First tank, 48+ years ago... Not sure of the size but was about 10" x 10" x 3" all glass. Had some sort of plant and some guppies. No filter or air stone, just a green plant and guppies. Been going at it one way or another ever since.

Last edited:

zackcrack00

Members
We had a "family" ten-gallon when I was 6-8 years-old. I liked it so much my parents moved it into my room. I remember sneaking over to it after they had tucked me in and turning the lights on and watching my tetras, Ghost Shrimp, and Ancistrus swim around and be happy! A few years later (when I turned 12)I got a 10 gallon for Xmas. I started with 2 Mollies and and few guppies.

JasonC

Members
bout 7 or 8 years old... 10 gallon, metal frame but glass bottom. colored gravel, plastic plants, box filter, some red swords. hated the thing as soon as my parents made me clean it for the first time... fish into juice pitcher, and then drain and scoop out all the gravel in a colander and rinse out in the tub. After all those fish died, didn't get another tank until about 5 years ago or so when I decided I really did enjoy the fish.

if i remember correctly i was around 9/10 and it was a 10 gallon tank from my uncle with a bunch swimming rabbits (guppies) as my mom called them to my complete lack of understanding...

blkmjk

Members
First tank ever was a 55 hex. I had a turtle in it. Got him a bunch of feeder guppies and tetras. He ate... they thrived it was so cool. Decided to try it again 3 years ago. 10 gallon tank. Killed everything 3 times. Finally resorted to the power of google and been hooked on cichlids ever since. The power of the internet!

Drew

Harleyrider5

Members
My first tank was 10+ yrs ago. It was a 10 gal with mollies and 1 pleco. Untill one of the mollies went psycho and killed all the other fish. So I switched I bettas for awhile.

milangdo

Members
I actually fished my first aquarium out of a dumpster behind Petsmart when I was in high school. I was a semi professional dumpster diving hobo for spending money at the time. They used to throw out everything that got returned.

Took me a month of checking daily before I got an appropriate filter, fish food, (non shocking) heater, and some gravel to go in my 20 gallon tank.

Started with some simple live bearers.

After nuking everything the first day (you can get chlorine out with a bubler, but not chloramine).

It has been a love affair that escalated to me working in an aquairum store in college to ending up with a 100 gallon shirmp tank.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
When I was 10 my first tank, it was a 10 gallon with mollies, an angle fish, and an albino bichir. A year later (long story short) I really got into it and thats how I got into the hobby