• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank smells.

Jefft

Members
Alright you fish pro vets out there. I need tried and true advice. What do you do to keep the smell of your fish tanks in check. Currently I vacum my tanks once a week removing all decorations and really sifting through substrate. This however doesn't seem to be handling the issue. Give me some tips folks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Life smells...

...and that's just the way it is. Water changes/good filtration are your best bet and should do more for minimizing fragrance than anything else. I don't notice anything untoward on mine unless it's been a while since a decent water change and even then not until I start pulling stuff out and cleaning the filters. If it flat stinks I'd venture to say you might need better/more filtration or there's something "in repose" under the tank/stand.

You could always get a dog ( to mask the aroma from the tanks). :D

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't really have an issue with smells from my tanks unless something isn't right. Big water changes on a regular basis are where I would start. Run some carbon in your filters too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TOMMYN3D

Members
I don't really have an issue with smells from my tanks unless something isn't right. Big water changes on a regular basis are where I would start. Run some carbon in your filters too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1
Water changes is the best thing and if after two 50% water changes in the same week 4 days apart doesn't do it, add carbon and keep up with water changes.

Jefft

Members
OK Tommy what kind of fish is that in your avatar picture? I want a few of those bad boys.

fischfan13

Banned
Jeff, how often are you feeding and how much are you feeding?
What food are you using?
Are you sure all of the food is getting into the tank and nothing is rotting around the edges?
What's your tank size and filtration?

Tommy's fish, btw, is a Maylandia hajomaylandi....and a really nice specimen at that!

Jefft

Members
I feed my adults two times a day. First thing in the morning they get Supreme Green or Cichlid Cravers from YFS. Then at night for the adult tanks I feed a couple of frozen brine shrimp cubes in the 55g and Two shrimp cubes with one bloodworm cube in the 75G. In the 40g with my fry and growing juvies I feed three times a day and use the YFS .05mm cichlid cravers. for the first two feedings and 2 cubes of baby brine shrimp. No food on edges.

Filtration..
75g, AC110 HOB, 40G sponge sitting on the bottom back corner.
40g breeder for the grow out juvies and fry. 2 AC50 HOB, One 20g sponge resting on the bottom.
30g Cube AC50 HOB, 20g sponge filter on the bottom.
55g One AC70 HOB

Jefft

Members
Tap water is regular Millersville, MD water. I suppose I just need to increase my water changes from 1x a week to 2xs.

chris_todd

Members
When you say the tank stinks, exactly what does it smell like? Rotten eggs? Rotten fish? An earthy musty smell? That will give you some hint of the potential problem...

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great advice, everybody!

Make sure there's no rotting food on the tank rim...

I'd just do a couple of extra 50% water changes and add some carbon to the filter.

Carbon can work wonders! I don't use it regularly but if I have used meds, have had a dead fish in the tank or some other reason for stinky water, then it's great.

Matt

Hawkman2000

Members
I was fighting with a stinky tank issue recently. You wouldn't believe what solved the problem, changing out a light bulb. Dual T-8 fixture w/ 1 420 actinic and 1 10k. Replaced the actinic with a ZooMed ReefSun 50% 6500k, 50% 420 actinic. The smell is gone, and the tank, and fish look better.

TOMMYN3D

Members
Thanks for the input now to research Tommy's fish there and where I can get some.
Like Bill said they are Maylandia hajomaylandi, you may also find them as Metriaclima Hajomaylandi as the name has changed so you may find info under both names. I got my group back in 2009. They are not a comon fish but with a little searching you may find some. Im in New Jersey and will be bringing a adult group to the ECC fall auction this month on the 30th.

TOMMYN3D

Members
I suggested doing two water changes in the same week to get most of the water out and more fresh water into the tank quicker. Then weekly water changes is fine. Hope it works out and carbon willalso help with the smell.

I also dont keep carbon in my filters but keep it on hand incase I need it.

Jefft

Members
Auction? Sold!

Like Bill said they are Maylandia hajomaylandi, you may also find them as Metriaclima Hajomaylandi as the name has changed so you may find info under both names. I got my group back in 2009. They are not a comon fish but with a little searching you may find some. Im in New Jersey and will be bringing a adult group to the ECC fall auction this month on the 30th.

How big as adults do they get? I will be at the auction as well.

ddavila06

Members
what kind of smell is it? like rotting smell (like stack water in a cut off pond thats rotting and the substrate looks purpleish) or like fresh caught fish smell? =)

Jefft

Members
The smell I keep getting when I walk in the apartment is kinda like rotten dirty diapers. After you are in it for a few minutes you dont notice it anymore. shrugs .. changing water today. Tommy I am very interested in picking them up from you I am assuming same coloration as the parent in your avatar picture?

TOMMYN3D

Members
They look just like the parents. I already committed them to the auction and the bags will have my name on them(TOMMYN3D) so you willknow that they are fromme..

The good thing is that you will be there and get a chance to bid on them. :happy0158:

How is the smell doing? Did youget to start the water changes?