• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tangled Up In Cichlids Pre-Order for Delivery to The Big Fish Deal

FishEggs

With all these preorder lists and group buys i won't have money to actually spend at the event. :wacko:

I've just become interested in Dicrossus Filamentosus and i see you have D. Maculatus. Is Filamentosus naturally occurring in the wild or is that due to selective breeding?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
With all these preorder lists and group buys i won't have money to actually spend at the event. :wacko:

I've just become interested in Dicrossus Filamentosus and i see you have D. Maculatus. Is Filamentosus naturally occurring in the wild or is that due to selective breeding?

You might be best to contact him directly
He does not come on the forum often.

Becca

Members

D. filamentosus is a separate species. I believe there are 5 currently identified species of Dicrossus but only two are commonly available commercially (and even then, neither is that common). D. maculatus is harder to keep and breed than D. filamentosus. It is also a larger fish. I believe that another sponsor, Batfish Aquatics, has some filamentosus in stock.

$15 per fish for maculatus is an excellent price and you'll want to start with a group of at least 6 if you want any chance of getting a mixed-sex group.

There is some good information on Dicrossus species out there - check out Cichlid Room Companion. They are harem breeders and males do not help with brood care.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude

Naturally occurring. D. maculatus are larger, and the more rare of the two.

Blaise

FishEggs

Thanks for the info Becca and Blaise. I've been doing a little bit of reading up on them but i'll have to just put them on the want list for now. So much going on right now that i havent had time to really get into the research or make a space for them. Maybe next time. I'm already spending too much money as it is. Dont tell my wife :eek:

Becca

Members
Thanks for the info Becca and Blaise. I've been doing a little bit of reading up on them but i'll have to just put them on the want list for now. So much going on right now that i havent had time to really get into the research or make a space for them. Maybe next time. I'm already spending too much money as it is. Dont tell my wife :eek:

Dicrossus are great fish, but you will love and hate them.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bigguapote

Members
Hey great CCA folks!
I don't know if this is the best place to post my 'after the event' comments, but it's where I know to go and post my 2 cents.

Kate and I could not have asked for a single thing that wasn't already thought of in advance and covered. The CCA gang is hands down the most organized and accommodating bunch of knowledgeable and kind and helpful people I've encountered in this trade! Each individual contributes to the whole process. The result is a truly seamless flow of responsibilities (for which there are an endless tide of before, during and after the actual event that we can see) managed in an extremely professional and personal manner.

We are so thankful to be included for any part of this event.
Attendance is growing for all the right reasons. Realistically, if this person tells that person how great the event was, next year's attendance can seriously be expected to nearly double. Again. I'm no statistician, but I think that's pretty much how it works.
Provided that the interest in fish and associated products is still present among folks in the greater NJ/DE/MD/VA/PA areas (personally, I sure hope that's the case!), then there's no reason not to see that kind of result in future attendance. You'll need to tear down a wall or two to accommodate seating for speakers;) !

From the bottom of our hearts, Kate and I wish to thank each and every one of you responsible for bringing it all together.
We feel truly privileged to be among a caring and growing community of fish heads!

spazmattik

Members
Great seeing you again Jeff! We are always glad to have another fish celebrity in attendance ;) thank you so much for your support.

Thanks for delivering me some awesome fish too!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Jeff,
You are a class act in this hobby. We love having you here.
Thank You for supporting our club!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Jeff:

Thanks so much for being a part of The BFD. It really means a lot that you come down each year to support the club.

Jon

F8LBITE

Members
Jeff thanks for coming to the BFD and bringing me some awesome fish! You and your wife were awesome and definitely made the event better. Thanks again!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Jeff: As I mentioned to you and Kate, having the two ofbyou present at the BFD, plays a large role in making the event so great. Seeing the two of you anually makes it feel like a family reunion of sorts.

All the best,
Andrew

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App