• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

T5's difference?

captmicha

Members
A few years ago, I bought an aquarium light at the auction. It was marked as not working.

Anywho, I'm going to try fixing it. But I have no idea if it's a T5HO or NO.

Is there anyway to tell without buying both types of bulbs?

It has absolutely no identifying markings on it besides "Coralife".

And while I'm here, I have another question. Is LED really worth the initial high expense over T5 lighting?

I need to see if they run about the same price. But I mean in the long run, cost per year.

Thanks!

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
My guess is the light is a T5NO, especially if it's a rather thin and flat fixture. Though Coralife does/did make a T5HO fixture.

The most basic thing to consider when comparing a T5 fixture to an LED fixture is the longevity of the LED vs replacement costs of the T5 bulbs. So you have a high(er) initial expense vs a continuing expense. Also, LED fixtures are lower cost to run.

Frankly, my plants can't tell the difference. For them, it's all about the wavelength.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
My guess is the light is a T5NO, especially if it's a rather thin and flat fixture. Though Coralife does/did make a T5HO fixture.

The most basic thing to consider when comparing a T5 fixture to an LED fixture is the longevity of the LED vs replacement costs of the T5 bulbs. So you have a high(er) initial expense vs a continuing expense. Also, LED fixtures are lower cost to run.

Frankly, my plants can't tell the difference. For them, it's all about the wavelength.

Blaise
If you're trying to grow plants, you'll need to replace the fluorescent tubes every 12-18 months, which really adds up. And, as Blaise said, flourescent lights use more energy.

I also think LED fixtures generally give off less heat, although the Marineland and Fluval planted tank fixtures can get pretty hot, like 120F (like the weather in Phoenix right now).

I've converted most of my tanks to LED fixtures, buying them mostly used from club members or on eBay. For some reason, there have been fewer such fixtures on sale on eBay recently, but you can still get Current Satellite and Satellite + fixtures, remanufactured, from Current on eBay, at a reasonable price.

captmicha

Members
Thanks! I'm going to go with LEDs for my fish room, if I ever get around to building it.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to fix this light or not. I'll have to see.

JLW

CCA Members
I would say that the biggest cost difference is in bulbs. As Matt said, you really need to replace them annually, even if they're still lighting. And I'd argue for half his time -- 9-12 months, tops. Some fixtures, the cost of the bulbs outweighs the cost of the fixtures, which is another problem -- a lot of these fixtures use unique bulbs, and good luck finding them. Many aquarium stores have discontinued these. The hassle alone of stocking 374 types of light bulbs is a relief. I know when a customer asks me for new bulbs, I make an annoyed noise and buy them a new LED.

One thing to be concerned with about LEDs. I have a friend who rechips cheap LED fixtures -- you can buy fixtures for like $25 on Amazon that work great, but their spectrum sucks. New LED chip in there, and you've got yourself a light for $80. We're finding now, about six months to a year, that a lot of these really cheap lights use really cheap drivers. After a while, the light is not good for anything but Disco Stu's apartment (or Jon Clark, they're actually the same guy, little known fact). Blink, blink, blink, blink, blink. Unless you like strobe photography in the aquarium ... not so much. (I had a customer send me the most awesome video of his reef strobing, I have to see if I can find it. ALMOST totally worth it. :)

The same is happening with some of the knock-offs that are actually intended for aquarium use. We're getting a year, maybe two, out of them.

So, yea, you're buying an LED light for the long term investment. You want to get quality. Don't get a cheap light for $200 that you have to replace every year when you can get a quality one for $400 that'll last five to ten.

JLW

CCA Members
And also, since I didn't answer the question... post a picture of the light, and we can probably tell you. How long is it? I might have some T5 bulbs floating around, if I haven't given them all away at meetings yet.

mchambers

Former CCA member
And also, since I didn't answer the question... post a picture of the light, and we can probably tell you. How long is it? I might have some T5 bulbs floating around, if I haven't given them all away at meetings yet.
I might have bulbs, too.

FishEggs

If you open up the light fixture and look at the guts (ballast) there should be a label on it that will tell you what wattage bulb to use.

JLW

CCA Members
The other option is to try a HO bulb in there. A HO in a NO fixture won't light. If it lights, its a HO.

If you try a NO bulb in a HO, you'll burn out the bulb instantly and it won't light. So you have to try the HO bulb as a tester.