• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sunsun HW-704B or sunsun HW-3000?

tonybwill

CCA Members
I have no experience with Sun Sun products. However, a quick search on Amazon suggests the HW704B is the more popular and higher rated model.
I've noticed that many cichlid hobbyist use sunsun canister filters to over filtrate their tanks. You're right about the Amazon ratings. The HW-3000 is too new yet. Rated 793 gph turnover.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Should I purchase sunsun HW-704B or sunsun HW-3000?
I had a 704B on a turtle / community fish tank and it was great. Easy water changes. I love how I can put practically any media in it, without clogging or slowing down. I have two and my fx5/6 are their backup filters. Highly recommend.

tonybwill

CCA Members
I had a 704B on a turtle / community fish tank and it was great. Easy water changes. I love how I can put practically any media in it, without clogging or slowing down. I have two and my fx5/6 are their backup filters. Highly recommend.
Awesome thanks!

fishkeeper87

Hey guys, I had a Sunsun HW-304B for about 9 months. Really did not enjoy it. I had to replace the top of the unit after only a few weeks into owning it because it was making a loud rattling noise. Amazon retailer gave me a hard time about the replacement. Water changes were a nightmare. The filter usually leaked after WC because it was very finicky about being closed fully. Also, the water leaked into the UV light area so I was afraid of using the UV light. At the end, I got rid of it because I couldn't use it with GFCI outlets. I tried on several outlets that were only 3 months old. It only worked on a regular type of outlet.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Hey guys, I had a Sunsun HW-304B for about 9 months. Really did not enjoy it. I had to replace the top of the unit after only a few weeks into owning it because it was making a loud rattling noise. Amazon retailer gave me a hard time about the replacement. Water changes were a nightmare. The filter usually leaked after WC because it was very finicky about being closed fully. Also, the water leaked into the UV light area so I was afraid of using the UV light. At the end, I got rid of it because I couldn't use it with GFCI outlets. I tried on several outlets that were only 3 months old. It only worked on a regular type of outlet.
I read about these experiences. I'm glad I had the opposite.

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
I had a 304b and I used it for two years with no issue. made a little noise but no more than my eheim does. did a good job.
I think the possibility for lemons is there, but if you get a good one, they are great filters for the $$

FishEggs

I had a 304b and I used it for two years with no issue. made a little noise but no more than my eheim does. did a good job.
I think the possibility for lemons is there, but if you get a good one, they are great filters for the $$
And then one day it just starts leaking. Didnt move it and not just after a cleaning or water change. Just up and started leaking. Keep an eye on it.

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
And then one day it just starts leaking. Didnt move it and not just after a cleaning or water change. Just up and started leaking. Keep an eye on it.
Have heard this from others as well, I sold the filter a while back personally. I liked it while I had it though. I think these are a great option for someone with a tank over concrete, agree it might be risky if the tank is upstairs over a finished wood floor or something similar though.