• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sump not keeping water clear

mfield4

Members
So when I bought my 92 gal it came with a sump, and I was obviously excited to learn/screw around with new equipment. After having it set up as a wet/dry with filter floss on top of a drip tray on top of bio-balls, with lava rock rubble, and more floss before the return pump, the water just is not as clear as it once was when I had 2 canisters running my 75g tank.

Any advice, comments, suggestions? The water just looks cloudy all the time. I don't want to put a powerhead in there, but I can if I NEED to and attach a hydro spong filter to it...

Rasta Fish

Members
did you just set up the sump and remove your canister?
You need to give the sump some time to grow the proper bacteria also
you may also want to add some filter medial also other that what you have (Activated Carbon and Ammonia Remover) and Yes a filter sock
sump will not pickup a lot of waste from the tank as would a canister filter
I would suggest adding one of your canister filer or a HOB filter like a Aquaclear110

Charlutz

Members
Rasta, he had the canisters on a different tank. :)

Mike, how long have you had the new tank setup? It takes a little time to get it to clear. Sumps can be very effective at keeping the water sharp. I like using a filter pad (either the blue/white stuff or some pink/white stuff I bought off ebay), then flowing through some floss. I've used micron pads before also. They really make the water sparkle, but required too much cleaning for my taste. As Matt said, you can also use a filter sock depending on the configuration of your sump. Same density choices as a micron pad.

STATMATT

Members
I third the Beneficial bacteria...

It takes time for the BB to convert the waste products, so I think you might be wanting that crystal clear look a bit prematurely. Let the BB get a hold and your water will clear up. I'm having the same thing on one of my new tanks.

STATMATT

mfield4

Members
Thanks for the responses. I have had the tank set up for maybe 3 weeks now and it hasn't gotten much better, but I am attributing it to the BB not being quite ready. I am seeding with an established canister, and I am still messing around with the set-up so we will see.

I got a new filter pad (rinse and re-use type made for pond filters)and currently have it on top of the drip tray, a bonded pad (blue and white) under the drip tray, and I will be removing the lava rock rubble so it doesn't trap too much detritus.

I also ordered a new sponge for just before the return pump. I thought of a filter sock, but there is not much room for one...

oh yea, no carbon or ammonia remover or anything like that. I haven't used that in a tank in a few years!

ezrk

Members
I have always wondered this with sumps. How good are they at picking up, well poop, in the tank? All of ours seems to settle on the bottom and given that most sumps are run via overflows...