• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Summer tubs

chriscoli

Administrator
Also, I had a problem with a raccoon on our deck a year or two ago...it would mark its territory by pooping on the first couple of steps down the stairs from the deck to the yard below. This was a problem, because those steps were just enough in shadow from the lights outside the back door that I couldn't always see what was on them when I took the compost out at night.

Anyhow....granular coyote pee sprinkled in a few places did the trick. It would wash away after a few rains, but it did deter them from the deck most of the time.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Who knew there was granular coyote pee? I wonder if the National Zoo still sells Zoo Doo, composted manure from predators.

Maybe I'll find some granular coyote pee. Supposedly there are now coyotes in Rock Creek just a couple of miles from my house. Maybe I could convince one to pee in my yard?

Edit: looks like this stuff is easy to find, with a great URL to boot:

http://thepeemart.com/

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yup

You could just get a pet coyote.
The thought occurred to me. . .

I suppose a cat could have done it, too, by trying to step on the cover. Would have been one wet cat.

Either way, a coyote would take care of the problem.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I have been working on this since the second week of May. I still have to build the plant racks. Where do you folks get plants? I tried mt local nursery the and the selection was decent. I haven tried the aquatic garden shop on old Central Avenue yet. I am think of putting sarassa comets and shubikins in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1433509957021.jpg

kevin911

Members
I guess it's a tub lol...I used a 300g Rubbermaid.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1433547394346.jpg

Becca

Members
You can get pond plants from Lilypons in Urbana, or congressional, or.... there's a store on 355 in Hyattstown that sells fish and pond stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
It's coming along. I added 5 pounds of pea gravel and some black lava rock to help the bacteria. I also added two shibukin and a sarasa comet. I think I have a northern green frog living in or near my pond too. The nursery near my house has a decent plant selection and free tadpoles. I want add some more plants though. I am waiting to see if I need a net to cover it.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1434668928844.jpg

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I found that chipmunks and birds got tangled in that black netting and died. Not fun. Chicken wire is cheap ans works well but looks awful. It really doesn't get too hot there to breed almost anything outside.

My favorite plant was water hyacinth. Really cleans things up, gorgeous flowers, and roots like crazy for fish to hide in. I used to get it at Merryfield.

You can get solar powered pumps pretty cheap online and when the sun is out is when you really need that aeration.

Love your little ponds in tubs. It really does get too hot to do that here in FL.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I have two hyacinths and I need to buy more. I may have to look into the aerator. Thanks George.

Becca

Members
I've spotted loads of fry in my little 35 gallon out on the deck. Whether they're white clouds or CPDs remains to be seen... hopefully a mix of both!

My indoor fish are busy, too - I've got a load of free-swimming Guianacara fry that are keeping their parents very busy and, as of this morning, a Desert Goby spawn.

Jt731

Members
Heat index 105
Tub temperature 89.5

I'll try to remember later tonight. Or maybe we'll get another tstorm

chriscoli

Administrator
my tadpoles have disappeared, but I saw another batch of eggs appear the other day. I'm also being bombarded by dragonflies now!