• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Structural support for floor below 500 gallon aquarium

blkmjk

Members
Professionals are just that

Whew this is a tall order. The first thing to consider is the shear weight of this project. Like mentioned earlier I wouldn't put this on anything except a slab floor. Biggest reason is that no matter how you support the floor from the bottom the floor will compress with wood as its so soft. I think the best solution is to build something out of steel in your case. I would engineer something to support the tanks weight entirely free standing of any current house structure. That would be substantial. First in cost second in size which by the sound of it is at a premium at your house.

My advice would be to have a iron working contractor build the support to the floor that you need. And then rebuild the bathroom afterwards or any other structure currently under where you plan to put the tank.

This is about the best advice I can give as a experienced mechanical contractor without pictures. Please keep in mind that a carpenter or other generic contractor will not have the ability to design what you need.

Please keep us posted on progress!

Drew

Hawkman2000

Members
The tank filled alone will be about 6500 lbs. Add stand, equipment...I would plan on 10,000 lbs just to be safe. Heavy SOB.