• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stinky wood

Anyone else ever notice a funky smell to their wood after it being in a tank for a while? Don't really have experience with using wood in a tank. Is there any dos and don'ts when putting wood in a tank? How does it effect water quality?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
I've had this happen with bamboo. I heard somewhere that you need to season bamboo by soaking it to get those funky compounds out, but I don't know for how long.

Never noticed it with the Mopani or manzanita.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never had more than the "fish tank" smell from my driftwood. I don't think it has much of an effect on water quality.

ddavila06

Members
i have taken wood out after a long time partially buried and its stinky but not anymore stinky that the mud and branches at the lake.. fish are fine, plants are fine..

Thanks all I guess that makes sense. I left my mag float on and after taking it out a few days later the felt had the same funky smell. I'm sure much nastier things are going on in lakes and ponds across the world. Parameters are still good fish seem happy.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App