• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Starting 60g mbuna tank

Bozza45

Members
I just purchased a 60 gallon tank and I'm wanting Mbuna cichlids. I would like opinions on which type of mbuna's to stock. Thanks in advance!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

Which ones do you like? There's probably 100 species available in the hobby....

Andrew

Members
If it were me, I'd do a species tank with either Pseudotropheus saulosi or Ps. mosobo deep.

KJacks

Members
I changed my mind atleast 4 times.. i was giving some good advice n it was just simply take ur time dont rush and end up with fish n wish u woulda have done something different in the end.. my only regret is not orderin a week earlier then i did bc my supplier sold out of the neochromis greenwoodi i wanted n wont have any for months.. :(

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Beeman

Members
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.
I started my first African tank in the spring with mbuna. I asked the same as you, and in my opinion, took good advise. I stocked a 55 with yellow labs, rusties, cynotilapia zebroides 'Jalo reef", and otopharynx lithobates 'yellow blaze'. You really can't go wrong with rusties and labs. The otopharynx, not actually mbuna, are growing a bit big now for a 55, but are otherwise non-aggressive, and work in well with the rest. They are slower to color up tho. The Jalo reef are really cool, but the most aggressive of the bunch,but that aggression is reserved for each other.
As Tony said, do a little searching, and see what you like. Dave's Rare Fish has a great selection, with pictures of each for quick reference. Pick out a few that you like, then ask the forum if they will work together. Best of luck

KJacks

Members
Dave's Rare Fish has a great selection, with pictures of each for quick reference.

I definately second that i ordered all my fish from there i even contacted dave through email a few times asking him questions as well as forums for info n i also research on cichlids-forum.com the more research u do the better in my opinion..

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bozza45

Members
Thanks everyone for your replies.... I've narrowed it down to about 14 different kind. Just need to pick 3 to 4 that I really like.... Ill post a list soon to see what y'all think.