• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Something's Fishy

Becca

Members
So, my mother-in-law got me a TDS tester for my birthday, not knowing that it would drive me completely insane (or maybe she did know). My initial findings were somewhat expected - TDS were high in the tanks on the ground that get tap water and are hard to vacuum and higher in smaller tanks, but lower in tanks where I use rain water. They weren't low enough anywhere for my CRS/CBS to successfully reproduce.

I've worked on upping water changes on the tanks that had TDS readings above what's in my tap (270ppm), and using distilled in my CRS/CBS tank. Today I was drinking my coffee and decided to play with my little TDS meter. Most of what I got was fairly expected, but two tanks SHOCKED me.

The first is a 10 gallon with 12-15 Aspidoras sp. black fin (more if you count the itty babies) and probably 10-15 yellow neocaridina shrimp of varying sizes. It had around 115 ppm, even though it is overcrowded and I use tap water only in that tank. It has hardly any substrate and almost no plants, but a huge mass of what I think is Cladophora algae. There's also reasonably large piece of driftwood taking up space in the tank. It runs on two sponge filters.

The second is a 20 gallon with pea gravel (a decade or so old, purchased at a garden center), 4 relatively small fish, and an assortment of plants, both floating and rooted. There's a little piece of driftwood in the tank and it runs on two sponge filters. It had around 450ppm (more than twice my tap).

Each tank had a 50% water change with the SAME water in the past week...

I suspect the gravel is the culprit in the 20 gallon, as it was lower after the last change but has creeped back up, but I've got NO explanation for the 10.

Thoughts?

chriscoli

Administrator
I've found the TDS story to be quite complicated, because by definition in includes a LOT of things. Could be a salt, could be dissolved organics, could be both. I find that my tanks with driftwood can have high TDS even though they usually get a bit of RO, but I suspect not all wood affects TDS the same. Some may lower your salts, but give off organics (especially if you've got wood eating plecos). The exact nature of the wood will likely influence the net effect on the number.

Peat will lower your TDS since it's a magnet for many types of ions. Driftwood to varying degrees will also soak up some ions like Peat does. But, if the wood is in serious decay, it may send the number the other way.

And, I think you're correct to suspect the gravel. Might have some pieces with buffering capabilities mixed in.

Also, some plants (but not all) will also reduce the TDS in the tank by preferentially using up certain ions....I believe I read somewhere that Vallisneria is sometimes used to reduce the hardness of water.

Becca

Members
I've found the TDS story to be quite complicated, because by definition in includes a LOT of things. Could be a salt, could be dissolved organics, could be both. I find that my tanks with driftwood can have high TDS even though they usually get a bit of RO, but I suspect not all wood affects TDS the same. Some may lower your salts, but give off organics (especially if you've got wood eating plecos). The exact nature of the wood will likely influence the net effect on the number.

Peat will lower your TDS since it's a magnet for many types of ions. Driftwood to varying degrees will also soak up some ions like Peat does. But, if the wood is in serious decay, it may send the number the other way.

And, I think you're correct to suspect the gravel. Might have some pieces with buffering capabilities mixed in.

Also, some plants (but not all) will also reduce the TDS in the tank by preferentially using up certain ions....I believe I read somewhere that Vallisneria is sometimes used to reduce the hardness of water.

I wonder if my mat of algae is eating up some of the extra stuff floating around in my tap water... Seems like it might be time to do some experiments.

The wood I have is probably not soaking up anything. One piece is pretty small and the other is originally from a 30 gallon tank that I first set up over a decade ago. Neither piece even leaches tannins anymore.

lkelly

Members
Becca, are you sure this guy didn't break in and throw your numbers way off?

koolaid_oohya_icon949.jpg