• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Some of my other Fish Hobby

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
David, it is amazing how great blues find the holes in the fishing line fence. It may take them a day or a week but they do fine the weak spot. That is why i went to the deer netting.

I also have not lost any fish due to the cold, even with 5 inches of ice on the surface. I turn off the pumps so the fish can conserve their energy in the cold water. Add a bubbler at one end to make sure there is enough oxygen getting into the water and then wait until the water is above 50 F before starting the pumps back up. I do a cleaning each spring to remove leaves and excess muck. then with the filter and the UV things go pretty smoothly the rest of the year. I do have to unplug a pump now and then.

longstocking

Members
really nice....I'd love a pond. Some day....

I just want a very large/deep one I can dive in ! I need a mountain so I can dig a big hole in it lol

YSS

Members
Wow! That is a great pond. This is exactly something I have been thinking about. I definitely have a place in my backyard for it. But I can't afford to have someone else do it as it would cost too much. I would have to do most of the work on my own, which I don't have any problem with. May be I will start digging this weekend as the ground should be nice and soft from all the rain. What is the dimension of your pond and how much work is to maintain once you have it built like yours? Do you have to do water changes like you do for the home aquariums? I imagine you would. Again, great pond. I am definitely getting started on this project this year.

Diogenes

Members
Had two of those Herons standing in the pond lastnight, My neighbor scared them off. I've tried everything but a GUN. lol

two things.

1. a .22 with subsonic ammunition is nearly as quiet as a BB gun.

2. they sell nets that you can cover the pond with to keep predators away. Might try that.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
My water surface is 25 ft by 30 ft. Yes i do water changes every week as I back flush the filters. The fishing line has been working now for the last month and a half.

andrew1002

Members
I've tried everything but a GUN. lol[/QUOTE]
I had a problem in my HUGE pond but not with herons.... Take a guess what it was. BLACK BEARS! they would sit in my pond and wait for some of the trophy released bass to swim by and BAM! My house in ny where this pond is has 160 acres and we are nearly in the middle of no where! We hunt (by we I mean me and my stepdad) and we have rifles and didn't want to kill the bear. So we bought a very high powered air rifle (like 1600 fps!) And shoot around the bear until it runs away. So you can try something like this but I doubt you have a 2.5 million gallon pond with space for multiple bears lol. Just buy some sort of motion activated alarm or something. Nothing too loud just loud enough to scare the crap out of the herons. Or you can buy some low powered air rifles or airsoft guns maybe would work. And if that doesn't work they have nets and huge perimeters you can put around to keep pests out. Possibly herons as well. I'll post some pics of my pond this weekend when I get some.

-Andrew