• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Snow Day!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Please be careful out there today. Forecast is still calling for 8-12 inches in my area, although we only have enough to cover the grass now.

The Army base where I am working is closed today, so looks like a snow day for me. Hope the power stays on and I can enjoy working from home.

Be safe!

Hannibal

Members
Calling for 8-10 up my way so I have myself a snow day as well. I did bring a bunch of work home with me though so that should keep me busy for a while.

Water changes is a great idea though since Aquamania is this weekend and will throw my usual schedule off.

JasonC

Members
Lucky ducks... I was still required to report as normal today at 6am... will be working til 4pm... this is going to be fuuuun ;P

Nothing but rain in the Annapolis area still, but it's getting windy. But since I work up in Owings Mills, I'm not taking any chances, and am comfortably ensconced at my home computer in my PJs, (yes, still in my PJs), and getting more done than if I were in the office!

I'm OK if we don't get any snow, since I'd like to NOT lose power!

Jefft

Members
I love snow!! I am heading out in the pick up to play in open and empty school parking lots across several counties. LOL If you are stuck and have emergency give me a call and I will come get you out.

This snow day has me pondering a few things about our upcoming aquamania though. Jon Clark told me at our last meeting that you/I can only get BAP points for 1 spawn of any particular species we keep. Thus if I am interested in moving up the rankings as a breeder in points towards say "Master Breeder" somewhere a few years down the road spawns 2- whatever of any species I have will do me no good in achieving that higher breeder status. Hence I am "pondering" eliminating 3 of my proven breeding colonies at Aquamania where I know I can either get the price I ask or refuse to sell them and take them home. Let's face it putting your fish fry, juvie, adult, or colonies in the auctions isnt a gamble the only sure thing is, it is a losing proposition. Anyway, I digress, Since I will have my BAP points as soon as I submit my paperwoork to jon I am really considering letting my Red Empress, Electric Blue Ahili and My Red Fin Borleyei (sp? and too **** lazy to look it up right now) all go as proven breeding colonies in the sale at Aquamania. Now a Full grown Red Empress sells for 35 on Dave's But I guess in all my ramblings I am wondering what a good asking price is for proven breeding colonies of these three species 6 fish per colony. All have produced all have females holding right now. The Red Empress is the only colony with two males the others are a 5f to 1m ratio.

What are your thought for a good price?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Wow, even my large law firm office is closed. Time to see if I can improve the flow on my Eheim 2215!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Enjoying the day off from school, though this is MSA week and everyone's stressed about the impact of school closure on the test... everyone else, that is.
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Still raining at work.
I could not sleep last night so I have been here since a little after 6. I usually get up at 617. lol
I am dying. No customers = trying to stay awake.....

Jefft

Members
I suppose we need to really clarify..

Since you want to get BAP points how about trading for a group of a specie(s) you haven't bred yet?

Yeah well trading for a proven breeding colony of equal value is certainly a possibility. I know mbuna are supposed to be a dime a dozen out there but the cynotilapias and metriaclimias really have a toe hold for me. So making room for more of those fellas is a plus.

I really dont understand the BAP thing thing though. I know as a club we can/should only get club credit for each species spawn or brood. That seems fair enough. However, what doesnt seem fair to me is the individual breeder only being allowed 1 spawn/brood per species. It seems to me the individual should get credit for each brood/spawn his/her colonies produce and be granted the points towards increasing their status as a breeder. Each batch of yellow labs my colony produces should be another 10 points towards my individual status.

Considering it the way it is now... IF I have to have x number of points for "Master Breeder" status and I get only 10 for a batch of yellow labs... I need to go ahead and get rid of those yellow labs and pick up another group of something else so I can keep accruing points. Doesnt make sense to me. Foregoing your suggestion of trading colonies.. even allowing the cost of purchasing 100 different species of breeding colonies alone would be mind boggling. To trade colony for colony still allows for the potential loss of $$ on one end of the trade or another.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The theory is that breeding 10 different species once is more challenging than breeding one species 10 times. It is in line with the number of points awarded for each class of fish, easier fish to spawn are only 10 points, where as the demanding fish are 40 points. That's the way it works.

This is the universally (so to speak) accepted way to track BAP. We won't be changing it. When looking at how the club compares against other clubs, it is the number of new spawns by the club members each year. So, once you breed your labs, if you sell/trade with a member who has never bred them, the club can get credit when the new owner breeds them.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Hope the power stays on and I can enjoy working from home.
Do you really mean that?;)

I hope the power stays on so I don't have to worry about doing crazy stuff for the fish tanks. My office is technically open, but I told my supervisors yesterday I was taking off unless there was no snow at 7AM.

So, needless to say, I stayed home. I have work I brought home to keep me busy, but so far I've spent more time on the forum than on real work, luckily I can work at my own pace, and have no clients calling me. Roads have been plowed, but I'm still not going anywhere. Better off playing it safe when possible.

Might just take tomorrow off too if it snows through the day/night/tomorrow morning. Though that might tempt me to just take friday off to make a really long weekend and get an early start on Aquamania...

Oh the problems I have to deal with:eek:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The theory is that breeding 10 different species once is more challenging than breeding one species 10 times. It is in line with the number of points awarded for each class of fish, easier fish to spawn are only 10 points, where as the demanding fish are 40 points. That's the way it works.

This is the universally (so to speak) accepted way to track BAP. We won't be changing it. When looking at how the club compares against other clubs, it is the number of new spawns by the club members each year. So, once you breed your labs, if you sell/trade with a member who has never bred them, the club can get credit when the new owner breeds them.

Yes, when we orginally came up with the BAP rules, we followed several other clubs as well as the rules for the Federation of American Aquarium Societies and the ACA.
Like he said, much easier to breed one type of fish and while I understand what you are saying, everyone would be a master breeder if it was one type of fish.. I think back when I was doing demasoni, I sold some 2000 of them. figuring the average brood would be 20-25, I could have had a lot of points with them. LOL

It's a way to make it challenging for everyone.

YSS

Members
Can't even work from home since the gov't is closed!!! :D Nice lazy day for me. Going to get the fire place going in a few hours. Love it! :)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I thought I might get to use my snow blower for the first time..... No such luck. LOL yet.

Jefft

Members
Missing the point...

Yes, when we orginally came up with the BAP rules, we followed several other clubs as well as the rules for the Federation of American Aquarium Societies and the ACA.
Like he said, much easier to breed one type of fish and while I understand what you are saying, everyone would be a master breeder if it was one type of fish.. I think back when I was doing demasoni, I sold some 2000 of them. figuring the average brood would be 20-25, I could have had a lot of points with them. LOL

It's a way to make it challenging for everyone.

Sometimes the "tone" of word in type is misinterpreted or misunderstood.. Jon, I didn't ask you or anyone else to change anything thank you for the clarification of "we wont be changing it" though. Pat I didn't assume anyone should be awarded points for each individual fry their fish produce. (chuckles) Regardless I suppose it is a moot point since getting points accounted for in BAP is a near impossibility in the first place. The point I suppose I was trying to make is it seems rather (not just challenging) but stupid (at least in my case) to spend hundreds of dollars if not up into the thousands to buy tanks and establish the colonies only to have to trade them out or sell them in order to progress in BAP standings. I have 9 colonies breeding out of those I keep, while I missed the challange of 10 different species breeding over the 1 I do make it in the 9 different breeding simultaneously..

The least of factors considered in potentially eliminating my hap colonies would be BAP points at this point. The primary being giving more breeding territory to my cynotilapia and metriaclimia colonies and rearranging tank mates so the smaller guys have a chance at being "alpha" in my tanks and fully showing their colors.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Raining and snowing at the same time here in Germantown. What little snow accumulated on the grass is now being washed away. Car still has a light covering. The street is covered by water, rather than by snow. Not complaining though, I got the day off of work!