• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Smithsonian Magazine on evolution in Lake Malawi

neut

Members
Yes, fascinating subject. I've been reading (and writing) on this for some time-- in a larger context of genetics, adaptation, etc. Small sample of the information out there:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/abs/10.1098/rspb.1990.0052

Almost every rocky outcrop and island has a unique Mbuna fauna, with endemic colour forms and species. As many of these islands and outcrops were dry land within the last 200-300 years, the establishment of the faunas has taken place within that time.

And: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC283548/

Repeated evolution of the same phenotypic difference during independent episodes of speciation is strong evidence for selection during speciation.

--most color variation among the rapidly radiated Lake Victoria cichlids and Lake Malawi Mbuna appears highly repetitive and can be partitioned into a small number of core patterns that are similar between the lakes.

--Each of the four male nuptial and three X-linked color patterns arose or was lost repeatedly within the zebra complex and additional times between the other Mbuna.

What's interesting to me is this doesn't act like Darwinian selection, even as the paper in the original post suggests:

In each case, Darwin suggested, a bird with the physical advantage was able to survive longer and produce more offspring than run-of-the-mill birds, and the trait was passed down through the generations and amplified over millions of years. He called this process natural selection to contrast it with the artificial selection performed by an animal or plant breeder working to strengthen a pedigree or create a new hybrid.

If that’s the usual understanding of Darwinian evolution, the myriad cichlids of Lake Malawi pose a real challenge to it.

The above-- rapid adaptation and speciation, repeating patterns of species consolidation and radiation producing the same patterns-- makes more sense if we look at the process with a modern understanding of genetics, not as a blueprint accumulating copying errors, which is a dated and overly simplistic model, but as functioning more like software, which is exactly what modern genetics research is finding. In fact, some articles describe it as digital but not binary (there are 4 DNA units, or 'letters'). While academics debate the terminology or implications of this, there's a lot of literature on it and science has been moving in this direction for some years now.

In any case, this or a similar model fits what happens in Lake Malawi, while the blueprint slowly accumulating copying errors, some of them beneficial model some of us were taught in school does not. To me, having spent some years as a software tech writer, the software analogy was evident early in my reading on the genetic research of the past 15-18 years. Of course, analogy doesn't necessarily exactly equal reality, the reality is quite complex and still being unraveled. This is a huge subject with a great deal of literature. Here are a few quick samples:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthon...-the-double-meaning-of-dna-code/#56245afe2e9b
DNA As An App

For so long we have considered the genetic code to be something like a book to be read, a recipe for making proteins. This new discovery makes me think that DNA is actually less like a document and more like an app. These transcription factors bind to to specific sequences of DNA right next to the genes that they regulate. So we can think of these TFs as kinds of functions that employ certain logic to turn the transcription of genetic material on and off and to regulate its speed.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140929105358.htm -- DNA signature in Ice Storm babies

https://ds9a.nl/amazing-dna/

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member
Sounds like you like might enjoy reading The Tangled Tree, by David Quammen. Darwin got a lot of things right, but the latest thinking is that evolution proceeds a little differently than he thought.

neut

Members
Sounds like you like might enjoy reading The Tangled Tree, by David Quammen. Darwin got a lot of things right, but the latest thinking is that evolution proceeds a little differently than he thought.
Yes, interesting field. Current science is passing Darwin by in certain ways, which shouldn't be surprising considering the advancements since his time. In physics this wouldn't be such a problem, but people hold a reverence for Darwin. The field has been one of contention and debate for years. You'll see little to nothing of this reported in your garden variety nature programs, but it's there and well documented in the academic world. Google "Dawkins vs. Gould", for example, or the book The Darwin Wars.. Not that physics doesn't have it's share of debates, disappointments, and unanswered questions-- for example, the Higgs boson being far lighter than predicted by theory.

Big subjects, much bigger than one can do justice to on a fish forum, but an interesting read is The Trouble With Physics by theoretical physicist Lee Smolin.

neut

Members
Will add it to my list!
Been wanting to read it for a while, finally did this winter. A great primer on string theory, problems with string theory typically not mentioned in popular media, and questions theoretical physics have been trying to figure out. I thought I had a grasp on the basics of string theory, but I learned a lot from the book.

I love that stuff. Universe is an immense, mysterious, fascinating place and we keep finding new stuff that's hard to explain... or not finding what theorists predicted, and that's hard to explain. :)