• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick synodontis

cmcpart0422

Members
Hey all, its been a long while since I've posted on the forum, but I have a sick synodontis and I want to know if anyone knows whats going on.

Symptoms include, very heavy breathing, very bloated, just sitting on the bottom of the tank, blister/bubble forming under dorsal fin. It looks bad and I'm thinking about just taking the poor fish out of its misery.
0fY54Jt.jpg

KG66XZT.jpg

Last edited:

Owens

Members
He doesn't look that bad to me, but it could be a variety of things based off those pictures.

If his lower half wont stay down it could be swim bladder issues.

If he is truly bloated, he could be constipated or have parasites.

All are manageable with some research, no reason to kill the poor thing.

I would start off with frequent water changes, raising the temperature a couple degrees and adding salt. Some people are weary of salt and scaleless fishes, so I would only do a quarter dose and see how he fares, if you see no improvements I would go up to half dose.

If you are not seeing any white poop or anus inflammation, he very well could just be constipated. Feeding him peas will help his digestive system going if this is the case.

If it is internal parasites, I would get ahold of some Pimafix and start dosing.

I've done the sat with rainbowfish and loaches and they did just fine! Good laxative also +1 for the veggies spirulina is good too