• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

September Blackworms

JLW

CCA Members
Hey guys,

As many of you have experienced, the blackworm quality has been a little less than optimum. This has been a big problem for all of us, as the worms just plain suck for you guys, and, well, you're associating THAT with me, which is not good! :) I've been trying to find a new source that will be competitively priced, but with better quality worms, which has not been easy. I just received a second order from a new supplier, which I think is going to work out very well.

[attachment=0]20150805_094426.jpg[/attachment]

This is glop of blackworms that I received Tuesday, at about 830 AM. One of the issues (though, not by far the only issue) is that the worms really get mishandled by youse guys after purchase; almost no one bothers to bring a cooler and ice packs, and the worms sit in the 76 degree meeting room, then drive home with you, which is really hard on worms that are already stressed. So, after I picked these guys up, I took them out of the cooler and tossed them on the car seat. I stopped and had breakfast, leaving them in the car. I drove to the office, took them in with me, and left them sitting on the desk for the rest of the day. I opened the bag up, and the worms looked just fine, and the fish ate some with gusto. I resealed the bag, drove home, and tossed them on the kitchen counter. Then I just plain forgot about them. :lol:

This morning, they looked like that. They were perfectly lively and good, and hadn't turned to slop or otherwise fouled their water.

Unfortunately, the blackworms are a little bit more expensive, and I will -really- need to keep up the minimum in order to get them. However, if you're paying X for them, but washing half of them down the drain, you're really paying twice that.... so, hopefully this will remedy that.

Blackworms are sold per cup, which is approximately 2/3'rds of a pound. Please note that worms are sold by VOLUME, not by weight, and the conversion is approximate. There are two prices offered, the lower one is "Pay in advance by PayPal." The second is "Pay at the meeting." Please note that if you are unable to attend a meeting, you remain liable for the worms.

Blackworms
1.5 CUPS O' WORM: $28 // $32 (No change -- this is roughly a pound)
1 CUP O' WORMS: $22 // $28
1/2 CUP O' WORMS: $14 // $18
1/4 CUP O WORMS: $10 // $14

I will be doing worms for the September meeting. The meeting is the 5th, and you MUST have an order into me by the 30th (Sunday).
Please note that I'm also crossposting this to PVAS for worms at their meeting; please tell me which meeting you want to pick up worms for! :)

20150805_094426.jpg

Last edited:

Becca

Members
So you are selling us genetically engineered super-blackworms that can take all of the abuse we normally put them through?

If only I could find some that would live through the fact that I am not allowed to refrigerate them.

Rasta Fish

Members
What I found work well "for me" for keeping the along time
Is wash them clean when you just get them put them in small amount of water
Place in a zip lock bag flatten and freeze
Then just break off the amount you want and feed to your fish
Clean, no mess really, you don't loose them down the drain or from spoiling because you forget to wash them

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So you are selling us genetically engineered super-blackworms that can take all of the abuse we normally put them through?

If only I could find some that would live through the fact that I am not allowed to refrigerate them.

I bought some from Josh that have been in a 20 long doing well. Just 2 rocks they all congregate around. A sponge filter no heater and they have been doing well.
Water changes and a few pellets every now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
Blackworms don't need to be kept cold -- they need to be kept oxygenated. Cold water is easier to oxygenate.

You can find them in pretty funky conditions at 95° -- which is often the best time to collect them -- provided the water is getting plenty of oxygen. After all, pretty much everyone has moved a rock in a tank and found a colony of blackworms that has avoided predators underneath it -- sometimes even in discus tanks! :)

Becca

Members
Blackworms don't need to be kept cold -- they need to be kept oxygenated. Cold water is easier to oxygenate.

You can find them in pretty funky conditions at 95° -- which is often the best time to collect them -- provided the water is getting plenty of oxygen. After all, pretty much everyone has moved a rock in a tank and found a colony of blackworms that has avoided predators underneath it -- sometimes even in discus tanks! :)

Well, yes... I suppose I could set them up in their own tank with an air stone if I were really motivated.