• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sail fin not growing

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey guys I've had this sail fin with African cichlids for 6months (they were all pretty small about 2") my pleco was 3-4" but has only grown about 1" in all that time they're in a 55g and all my africans are growing rapidly
Why has my pleco not grown?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ddavila06

Members
plecos grow pretty slow..idk how ur african's water might affect its growth but yeah.. i had one for several years and only put on like 2 inches or so...

zackcrack00

Members
How are the water params? Is it eating well? I have to stick algae wafers in my pleco's cave to get it away from the cichlids in my 75. Have you tried that?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Temp79
Ammonia 0
Nitrate20
Nitrite0
Ph 8 won't budge so I let the tank do its thing bc it won't go up or down (IMO stability is more important)
And a few tablespoons of salt per 5gallons

The thing is he is happy and I can see he or she has grown but last one I had grew like crazy then slowed down after about 8" I also toss in cucumbers and the occasional spinach but the other guys get them b4 he does
He also doesn't have one specific cave

Localzoo

Board of Directors
He looks rounded like he's eating and will guard his wafers to the point or carrying it into whatever cave is close by. I originally got him for minor algae control but the little guys was really efficient and I drop treats and food in all the time like cucumbers. Maybe he's just the little guy out of his family (dwarf, runt or genetically small)