• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Root tab experience

dhavalsp

Members
Looking for some words of wisdom around root tabs...

I am planning to use them in my tank as I do frequent, almost 50 % daily on my 56 G which is appreciated by my discus but plants are doing so so due to that.

Had few questions:

1. Does brand make a 'huge' difference? was planning to get a generic one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Root-Tabs-Cou...=UTF8&qid=1458921242&sr=8-5&keywords=root+tab

2. How often do you dose your tank? My tank is low-tech...coralife fixture (one 10k, one 65 k, and one regular t5) in PFS...that's about it for plants...and I just got vals and anubias...don't dose with any other nutrient, and rely on heavy feeding..

3. Any drastic changes in water parameters?

4. I have a minor algae problem, will root tabs promote plant growth and take care of algae in the process or it will go other way around and both plant and algae will multiply?

5. impact on fish? planning to add Rams and corys in the equation, who would be in close contact with PFS.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dhaval

Jt731

Members
Brand makes a huge difference, but I have bought premium which dissolved the second they touched water. Before you put one in test what happens when you add to water

I don't dose any of my tanks, but I have dirt capped by sand. Look at estimative index and then remember 50% wc per day is going to remove most of the dosing

You are providing a new nutrient, so if you had retarded plant growth due to this, then plant growth will increase and possible outdo the algae. If they were not, you may get more algae. Most of the time for me algae is solved b decrease light.

I've watched Corys dig up the root tabs to eat or graze ont. Some lived a very long time. Others died. I don't know the answer to that one.

I can't look right now, there is a chart that you can find that has what happens to leaves if they are missing a nutrient. If that chart indicates missing nutirent that are in root tabs, go for it.

halak

Members
I use Jobe's Sticks or Miracle-Gro root tabs. They are a cheap option. I put about a 1/4 or 1/3 of a stick next to a larger plant's roots about two or three times a year. Algae won't be able to use much of the fertilizers in the root tabs since the tabs are in the substrate. There is no impact on fish.

zendog

For pond plants and in one of my tanks, I've even used the really big Jobe's spikes (for fruit trees), just breaking them into bits with a hammer and estimating the size to use based on the plant. They are very hard and won't fall apart on you when you're trying to poke them into the soil.

Kareen

Members
I have a 125 Discus tank w/Dirt/sand cap T5ho do 50-70% w/c weekly I use Osmocote Plus root tabs and my plants love them I put tabs in every 4-6 months I do Excel because I get BBA I have 8 large Discus, corys and other small fish and I feed heavily 3-4 x a day I've had no impact on my fish from the tabs just make sure to put tabs all the way to the bottom of your tank try to get more plants to impact the algae.

dhavalsp

Members
Thanks everyone... I am going to try osmocote plus ....

Kareen, do use osmocote by putting them in the capsule cover or directly ?

Thanks,

Dhaval

dhavalsp

Members
It's at 84-85.... I just have Val's and anubias... And they have been in it since 6-8 months... They melted came back to life when I switched to discus month or two ago...but the growth has been on slower side always...it may have to do with the fact that the tank is 56 tall...

ddavila06

Members
thats a nice chart JT. both of those plants should do fine w root tabs. i like the one that is like a stick for anubias because they are usually attached to rocks or wood in my tank. for vallisnerias you should be fine w seachem tabs. what is the substrate BTW?

Kareen

Members
I put the Capsules with Osmocote in them all the way to the bottom of your tank the capsules will slowly melt

dhavalsp

Members
wow, those charts are helpful. I think I need some potassium and phosphates and in my tank...

I have been thinking about adding one amazon sword for sometime, maybe in a month...