• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rock hunting or where to buy them in MD

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I need round-shaped river rocks. Have you been to any builders/landscaping supply yard in MD area, or do you buy from pet stores?

FishEggs

I usually go to The Stone Store in Hanover, MD. They're not far from House of Tropics. Don't know where you are located though. Check out any local nursery. River rocks are usually a common stock item.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Irwin is where I've purchased river rock in the past. I think there are locations in Rockville and Frederick.

But there are plenty of "wild" rocks to be collected. All I do is give them a good cleaning, let them dry, then clean them again and into the tank. I've never seen any ill effects from this practice.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
The stone store looks interesting but it's like an hour of driving from Germantown :(

There is an Irwin stone in Rockville.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Irwin is where I've purchased river rock in the past. I think there are locations in Rockville and Frederick.

But there are plenty of "wild" rocks to be collected. All I do is give them a good cleaning, let them dry, then clean them again and into the tank. I've never seen any ill effects from this practice.

Jon, I thought about that too. Any round shape that passes the muriatic acid test would do. Just not sure where to look for them, I know that collecting rocks in national parks and rivers is prohibited.

Becca

Members
There's an Irwin in Rockville and Frederick. Both are equally great. Each has a "leftovers" pile they charge very reasonable prices for, not that any of the stone is all that expensive if you're only purchasing fish-tank quantities. They weigh your car before you drive in, and then weigh it again as you drive out to figure out what to charge you.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
There's an Irwin in Rockville and Frederick. Both are equally great. Each has a "leftovers" pile they charge very reasonable prices for, not that any of the stone is all that expensive if you're only purchasing fish-tank quantities. They weigh your car before you drive in, and then weigh it again as you drive out to figure out what to charge you.
Will def check them out. Thanks Becca!

FishEggs

I'd say come down and have a look in the storm creek behind my house but i'm probably a bit further of a drive for you then the Stone Store.

Digital

Members
I was thinking of getting some rocks from the natural area in the HOA space next to my house.

Any idea if plant fertilizer can be fully removed from rocks? I'm certain at some point the HOA has contracted lawn care for this area.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
WmX23Y7.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
:D:D:D jokes aside, I know bleach safety for aquariums is a heated discussion but do you think it can be used to clean feral rocks?
Feral or just wild caught? I'd think bleach would be fine. I've used it on algae covered rocks. I don't think much, if any bleach gets absorbed by a rock, but to be safe I've treated them with dechlorinator before they go back in a tank.