• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rock for rift lake tanks

Leffler817

CCA Members
I've used this stuff and lace rock for African tanks. I prefer lace rock only because its a bit stronger. IME, both rocks broke down over time and became brittle. Nothing where I was afraid of anything collapsing, only when I did a WC and rearranged rocks. pieces would break off. Also, both types of rock have sharp edges. I stopped using them because the fish kept scratching their eyes as they tried to escape from aggressive fish. What Tangs are you planning to keep?

Hawkman2000

Members
Dont know yet. A guys at Fishy Business is gunna help me figure out what to put in it. Also seen that there are alot of old world breeders here in central florida.

Gunna some tough choices since its a 37 tall.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Easiest way to tell if rock adds to pH / hardness is to drop some vinegar on it. If there's bubbling and fizzing, then there is CaCO3 (Calcium Carbonate)...

Matt

Hawkman2000

Members
I was originally going to use lace rock to raise the pH because I like my white PFS. but the guy at Fishy Business said it doesn't raise pH, and I have read conflicting info on it online.

I have a few pieces so I'm going to put them in a bucket of water for a week then test the pH.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have had good success with the Carib Sea African Cichlid white sand. It buffers the PH. I also worry about lace rock due to the sharp edges. I stopped using it. I only have Tangs.

SAND.jpg