• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Repashy Jerky

mchambers

Former CCA member
After hearing Barbie Fiorentino say she feeds her fish Repashy jerky, I decided to try it myself. I made a batch of Igapo Explorer today, cut it into strips, and put it in a food dehydrator for five hours. I put strips in a few tanks this afternoon. So far, the results are mixed. In a few tanks, the fish immediately attacked it. In others, it’s mostly shrimp and snails that have been attracted to it. Here’s a video of some Corydoras and plecos eating a strip.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Interesting, most of my fish will go after the repashy gel, but some ignore it, I wonder if the same would go for the jerky. I like the idea of dehydrating though so it could be stored longer.

Can it be dehydrated in an over, or a true dehydrator the best bet?

mchambers

Former CCA member
The instructions (http://www.swisstropicals.com/food/repashy-superfoods/)say either an oven or a dehydrator. Since I'm married, I opted for a dehydrator a neighbor gave me. Since my wife will be out of town this weekend, I did briefly consider doing it in the oven. :)

Jerky is supposed to last longer in the tank, but most of mine was gone by morning. As far as fish go, I saw my Hisonotus go much more aggressively for the jerky compared to the gel.

Matt

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks, should've thought to check the site. I'm not sure if my oven would go as low as 150, and I don't have a dehydrator, so I may just stick with the gel. I can imagine baking the gel would cause quite the fragrance, so I might be better off regardless. I make the gel at night when the wife isn't around, but baking might send the smell throughout the house.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Thanks, should've thought to check the site. I'm not sure if my oven would go as low as 150, and I don't have a dehydrator, so I may just stick with the gel. I can imagine baking the gel would cause quite the fragrance, so I might be better off regardless. I make the gel at night when the wife isn't around, but baking might send the smell throughout the house.
Dehydrators aren't expensive, about $30. You might be able to find one fairly inexpensively at a thrift store. At my wife's suggestion, I sent an email to our neighborhood listserv and got almost an immediate response from someone who wanted to get the dehydrator out of their house, to reduce clutter.

Now I find myself thinking about other things that I could dehydrate as fish food.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I can imagine baking the gel would cause quite the fragrance, so I might be better off regardless. I make the gel at night when the wife isn't around, but baking might send the smell throughout the house.
The new Igapo Explorer doesn't have much of a smell, if any. Stephan Tanner told me last weekend that he and Alan Repashy have figured out the cause of the smell and have been reformulating the foods to reduce the smell. One of the reasons they got rid of the Shrimp Soufflé was the smell, which was mostly due to the squid meal.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Interesting. I had been using shrimp souffle because someone brought samples to a meeting, so likely why I was biased. The super green has a smell, but definitely different than the shrimp. I picked up some community plus this past weekend and it doesn't seem so bad either, so seems like their changes are working, likely to the delight of everyone.

captmicha

Members
Interesting. I've been meaning to try this out. If you keep it up, I imagine some more might get trained to it. Seems to take some a while to figure things out... Cichlids are so smart, but my Serpae Tetras on the other hand.... They're a special kind of stupid.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
It must be me, but I don't have an issue with the smell of any Repashy. I make mostly a mix of Soylent and Bottom Scratcher.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
Any updates on how the fish are liking this product? Is anyone feeding africans with it?
Almost all of my fish like Igapo Explorer. The jerky form is not quite as well liked, but it disappears quickly in most tanks.

My west Africans (Anomalochromis thomasi and Pelvicachromis kribensis "Bipindi") love it. I don't keep lake Africans.

lgfelic

Members
Since I travel a lot, we make larger batches of Repashy and dehydrate it. Most of my fish will eat it but my plecos seem to prefer the gel. I've been soaking their jerky before dropping into the tanks and that seems to help them eat more of it.