• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Registration is Open

jonclark96

Past CCA President
CCA:

Registration for the BFD is now open. Register today.

You can access the BFD website from the home page in the upper left hand corner or from the AquaMania tab in the navigation ribbon at the top of the page.

Please get the word out to all of your fish friends!

Jon

dogofwar

CCA Members
Nice - will register today as well!

I was at the Gaithersburg Hilton on Saturday (nice place to grab a beer and watch the Army Navy Game while my car's tires were being installed) - ALL of the staff there know about the "Aquarium Event" and really look forward to it!

Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I know we keep pushing this but its a big deal. yes pun intended.

Registering early helps any club in multiple ways.

1- there are expenses with hotels, flights, etc that the club needs money for before the event.

2- if people register early, then it helps the people in charge of registration. They have time to make name badges and easier to keep the list up.

3- easier to get vendors and sponsors if a club can say, "hey look, we are 3 months out and already have 200 people coming".

4- vendors always try to find out how big an event will be. If they know 50 people will be there then there is no reason to bring a lot of product to sell. If they know that 300 people will possibly buy from them then they will bring more stuff and you have a better chance to get what you are looking for.

I just wanted you to see the other side of things. These events are very stressful for the people running it and I for one always register way in advance to help them with their jobs.

Okay, enough about this from me.

Pat

dhavalsp

Members
Do we have a photo gallery or list of things that were being offered in the market place? This event grows every year but just in case there is a handy recap of what happened last time would help coax people on the fence. (multiple commitments are preventing me from being at the event but I am going to squeeze in sometime to stop by for a peek)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I don't know of a list of items from last year but a lot of people had a thread going last year of what they were bringing I do believe.
Plus there was a photo thread from last year under BFD3. I think there was also a link that someone had to their photos rather than posting here. I wish more people would post their pictures. I know I was too busy on Sunday to take any.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24598

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
DSC_0537_zpsuzouhw63.jpg
Stolen photo showing people waiting to get in.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Those pictures really capture the energy and scope of the Sunday Marketplace (swap meet) - literally hundreds of people lined up to buy...and dozens of vendors and hobbyists selling their wares. We moved to the largest ballroom the hotel has to accommodate the growth.

Be forewarned, most of the action in the swap meet is early - the first hour or two... although I got some awesome deals later in the day. Sellers will likely put up threads about what they're bringing. And a lot of sellers who don't bring their stuff to auctions bring them to the swap meet!

That said, I think that some of the best fish and deals are in the Saturday Night Rare Fish Auction. While this is open only to registered attendees, there were deals on single bags of fish that would have easily paid for a person's entire registration... and only registered attendees can buy from vendors during the event...so it really makes sense to register (even if you don't want to watch the speakers, eat the free food, drink the free beer, enter the dozens of raffles, etc, etc. that come with $35 registration)...

Matt