• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red Wiggler Wranglers

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Worm juice?! In the kitchen?!

"Many people"?! Willingly accommodate that which would make a petri dish blush? Oh my.

Alright, I'll try again if you bring me some to start as well.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't think I have enough to start a colony (or two) in earnest....more worms to start will give you a good head start. I started with 2 pounds and feed to my fish on most days, so probably have less than that on an ongoing basis.

Best to start with probably a pound or two...and let them multiply for a bit.

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
What a relief

Much as I'd like to see my Geos having their way with some big wrigglers, I think my worm ranching period will just have to wait for country living to hold me in thrall. Rather I think I'll just be on the lookout for a bait shop or some discarded whatnot that promises shelter for such in its damp moldering refuge.

chriscoli

Administrator
2 lbs of happiness

My new worms just arrived! I caved and took the easy route....I got a Worm Factory 360. The worms went in tonight (minus a few for the fish, of course).

red wigglers.jpg

Jefft

Members
What fish are you guys feeding these worms to? Good for SA and CA fish yes? Not good for Africans are they?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good for some Africans. I feed mine to many of my West Africans and Madagascar fish. They'd also be great for carniverous Haps (I've done this in the past).

NOT GOOD FOR MBUNA!

They're like 70% protein...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Nice - please post pics of this Factory.

What 5 days per year do the worms get off from the factory (365-360 = 5)?

Matt

My new worms just arrived! I caved and took the easy route....I got a Worm Factory 360. The worms went in tonight (minus a few for the fish, of course).

chriscoli

Administrator
Nice - please post pics of this Factory.

What 5 days per year do the worms get off from the factory (365-360 = 5)?

Matt

:D Bruce says they get Jewish holidays off. The hard part was finding factory equipment small enough for the worms. Now the trick is teaching them to run it without opposable thumbs.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A well deserved break for the little guys!

I grabbed about 6 dozen worms from the bin last night for feeding my 3 big tanks and some pikes. Took about 10 mins total to collect them, rinse them and get them in their bellies.

For those playing the home game, that would have been the better part of $10 worth of worms from Wal-Mart or a bait store (or God knows how much frozen food).

I feed from my bin (at least a few worms) just about every day...

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
What are your initial thoughts on the Worm Factory?

So far I love it! Of course, I made sure to start with a LOT of worms....they took off much faster than I had read that they might. Apparently it can take up to a few weeks for them to settle in and really get to work. After being shipped. Mine were up and running after only about a week.

I find that it's really easy to make them too wet....so I've been mixing in a lot of shredded paper, but if I microwave the compost (to break it down faster) they'll take care of a gallon ziplock bag of scraps every few days.

So far I've noticed a slightly musty smell the day after I feed them which, I think, is a result of too much moisture. I suspect that when I get my compost to paper/leaves ratio right, that should improve.

I'll try to post pics soon.

chriscoli

Administrator
Im still happy with my worm setup. I have it sitting inside in our unused downstairs shower with my RO setup and my orchids....

I've also got several extra trays ready to go.

image.jpg