• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Random ramblings on the Rio Tapjos...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
With all sorts of hobbyists playing with botanicals in their aquariums, it's understandable that they want to utilize them for creating different types of aquatic environments. Although we spend a lot of time waxing poetic about blackwater aquariums and replicating all sorts of cool blackwater habitats from around the world, the fact is, there are numerous "clearwater" habitats with slightly acidic water, dynamic fish populations, and incredibly inspiring niches to replicate in our aquariums.

14958445_1038190662974410_1218035438_n_fe928ae9-5aa5-410e-9fe6-57faba2a8a2e_grande.jpg

As we've discussed repeatedly, it's entirely possible to keep botanicals in an aquarium and completely control the tint of the water. We receive this question all the time, so I will defer once again to my personal experiences. We've done this "anti-tint" botanical thing many times over the years, most recently last year in what is now the blackwater aquarium in our office. Yes, it was a painful experiment for this blackwater lover, but I stuck it our and enjoyed all of my leaves, pods, and other botanicals in the vaunted "crystal clear, blue-white water" of hobby legend. It just took a little activated carbon, and a lot of "dealing with it" on my part, before I came to my senses and went "back to black..." (click here to read more)

IMG_3459_grande.JPG