• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Raleigh Aquarium Society

fishfarm

Members
Are you going? I might try and make it down there this year. How big is it typically?
[/b]
I've gone to (or spoken at) the last ten or so. Speakers on Friday and Saturday, usually well attended. A large auction on Sunday that can last well into the night, Most years it's a buyers auction, lots of rare fish and tons of plants. I'll be in Mexico this year so I won't be there. Ken

longstocking

Members
How much is it? I couldn't find any info on the website in terms of the cost.

Ps Ken.... The male is bright blue right now :)

fishfarm

Members
How much is it? I couldn't find any info on the website in terms of the cost.

Ps Ken.... The male is bright blue right now :)
[/b]
They usally only charge $10-15 for the talks, auction is free and open to the public.
Great! now get them to breed before I come back up there. :p Ken

mscichlid

Founder
I'm thinking of going because I missed the ACA and the OCA. But it also depends on what the weather is like.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
One of these years I may try this one.

Too early in the year for me to take off. Need the time for the ACA and OCA.
Plus I have a wedding this summer.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
BUMP

I see the list of speakers is now up on the site.
Click on the flyer and it has everything layed out.

longstocking

Members
We might go down..... still not sure. But.... probably not... unless Bill gets to go diving while we are down there ( which is a posibility ) ... I won't be able to convince him :smashfreakB: Dad lives about an hour away..... I'm going to try lol

rodcon00

Members
I have been to the last few Raleigh events and will be going again this year. Always a good time the speakers are interesting and the Sunday auction typically starts around noon (but get there early to see the stuff and get your bidder cards) and can run until 8 pm or later. The cost of attending is reasonable. The registration for the speakers is 15 dolars. The dinner is 15 dollars. I think it is the best deal going for a weekend fish event. They will also have a native fish display from the Friday collecting trip. All in all a good time.

The three closest hotels are listed on the brochure but if you are searching for them on an internet travel site use the address to find what the current names for each hotel. The hotels are close to each other and only one exit away from the fish event location. I swear that one of them has had a different name every year I have been going to the event.

longstocking

Members
Hey :)

Would you be interested in car pooling to the show ( I don't know if we could pull it off though )? And diving that weekend?

Off shore diving off nc is still around 72 degrees :p A boat is going out on the 17th.

rodcon00

Members
I think that carpooling to Raleigh with me may not be the best option because I will be visiting with some non-fishy friends and I may not return to DC until Tuesday after the show.

I am having a hard time seeing 72 degree water anywhere off NC at this time of year. I wonder if it could be 72 at the surface and in the mid to high 50's at depth. Either way too cold for me to be diving.

maddog10

Members
Its the Gulf Stream. I have been fishing offshore at North Carolina in January, wearing teeshirt and shorts. Have to rebundle on the ride in though. Starts to get a bit on the cold side.

longstocking

Members
From the last reports I heard.... 72 top to bottom OFF SHORE... meaning 20+ miles out and 100 feet down. Good time to see baby sharks and parents too :)

rodcon00

Members
20+ could make for a looooooooooooong ride out and back (I hope that the ocean is like a sheet of glass for the day and that your vessel can do 30 knots). Just think travel another 630 or so miles east and you could be diving in Bermuda. :D

longstocking

Members
lol..... my first ocean dive was off NC..... lol 22 miles out. LONG ride... but was well worth it.

Going to the Bahamas (Blackbeards live aboard) this September for a week :) ( We won a free week for one of us at a DAN benefit dive this past summer )

rodcon00

Members
As long as you know what you are getting into go for it.

Congradulations on the free live aboard trip. :D

Let me know how you like their operation always looking for suggestions for live aboard trips.

My brother and I are planning on doing a couple of liveaboards in November.

daniel

Members
Hey everyone,

I'm from Raleigh originally and will be down there this weekend to see some friends anyway, so I'm trying to swing by the workshop if possible. I haven't met any of you yet but perhaps I'll see you there.

Daniel