• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Question on Water Changes

Tankster

Members
How do you do it? I have 300 gallons total volume and have been draining and refilling the 75 gallon sump. I really want to cut down on the frequency and increase the volume to 75% to 80% weekly. My challenge is I don't have a holding tank that large to warm the water for a change that large. I know when I had discus a temperature fluctuation of that magnitude would most likely kill them and at the very least shock and stress them leaving open to easily becoming sick and then dying. I am new to the Peacock world so don't know if that holds true here as well.
I have considered a python but refilling would take over an hour from a faucet. I had a hose bib installed right next to my tank which refills it in 10 to 15 minutes but with COLD water.

Any suggestions?

Becca

Members
How do you do it? I have 300 gallons total volume and have been draining and refilling the 75 gallon sump. I really want to cut down on the frequency and increase the volume to 75% to 80% weekly. My challenge is I don't have a holding tank that large to warm the water for a change that large. I know when I had discus a temperature fluctuation of that magnitude would most likely kill them and at the very least shock and stress them leaving open to easily becoming sick and then dying. I am new to the Peacock world so don't know if that holds true here as well.
I have considered a python but refilling would take over an hour from a faucet. I had a hose bib installed right next to my tank which refills it in 10 to 15 minutes but with COLD water.

Any suggestions?

Use a utility sink. You could try an inline heater on the hose, but I'm not sure if it would warm cold water very fast. mscichlid mscichlid is selling a big holding tank.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
How difficult would it be to run hot water to where you have the hose bib? The easiest thing would be to run hot water and the existing cold water to a thermostatic mixing valve (kind of like in your shower) and then fill directly from there. Short of that, getting a large holding tank and heating the tank is about the only other option if the water truly is that cold.

I don't think that peacocks will be as sensitive as discus.

Tankster

Members
Use a utility sink. You could try an inline heater on the hose, but I'm not sure if it would warm cold water very fast. mscichlid mscichlid is selling a big holding tank.
How difficult would it be to run hot water to where you have the hose bib? The easiest thing would be to run hot water and the existing cold water to a thermostatic mixing valve (kind of like in your shower) and then fill directly from there. Short of that, getting a large holding tank and heating the tank is about the only other option if the water truly is that cold.

I don't think that peacocks will be as sensitive as discus.

Thanks for the replies gang.

It is coming out in the 55 degree range so pretty darn cold. We are on a community well, which is perfect water parameters for the fish but pretty dang cold because the water tower is on a hill about 1/4 of a mile from my house so during the winter has a natural refrigeration factor.

The hot water line and thermostatic valve is a great idea but wanted to get off cheaper until I get a J.O.B. :)

A quick fix would be the holding tank but with that, in addition to the cost of the holding tank comes the purchase of another pump and another high wattage heater and controller. Total cost for that would not be much less than paying a plumber to come in and run a hot water line to the spigot and install a thermostatic valve.I think long term the convenience of warm water from a spigot right next to the tank would be ideal. It would also give me the easy ability to set up a top off valve at the same time killing 2 birds with one stone :)

I

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Another option would be to set up a drip system and do continuous water changes versus a bulk change on a periodic basis. It would take the temperature variable out of the equation, but you'd need to plumb your sump with an overflow to a house drain.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You wouldn't necessarily need the heater and controller with the holding tank, just give the water enough time to equalize with room temperature, and adding it at that point shouldn't be an issue. Would only need a water pump and heat pump at that point. I know there are already a few used water pumps listed for the PVAS auction happening in a few weeks.