• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ptychochromis Oliacanthus Spawn

dogofwar

CCA Members
Well, unfortunately, all of the Nossibee babies have disappeared. There were swarms of them up until yesterday afternoon and they lived for over a week.

Not sure if the parents ate the babies or if they starved, but they're all gone. The babies are MUCH smaller than many cichlid fry and very numerous. I was feeding cyclopez, baby brine, and crushed flake...and they seemed to be doing OK with it. Next time I'll try liquid fry food.

Good news is that the parents appear to be spawning again (at least tubes were out this AM).

The other pair (removed to another tank when the first pair apawned) was on their way to spawning themselves when their tankmates (a pair of Bujurquina) beat them to it.

I have pictures (albeit bad ones :) of this, just need to get them downloaded, etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ May 7 2008, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Some of the non-rift lake African cichlids have odd - or less familiar - defensive behavior than some of the more familiar ones. The pair of nossibees spawned on top of the overturned pot, was hyper-vigilant about the fish swimmign around the tank (and charged the glass at me), but seemed to ignore the fish actually IN the pot below their eggs. Kind of like a toddler who closes his eyes to make things "go away."

I have some Pelmatochromis nigrofasiatus (west african) in a tank with excess female chanchitos (south americans). The Pelmats spawn, think that they're doing a good job guarding their eggs, but the chanchitos just swim through their efforts and eat the eggs :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ May 6 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow -- congrats Matt!

That's really strange that the pair let another male hang out with them & the fry, isn't it?
Definitely get some pix up when you can :)

DC[/b]
[/b][/quote]