• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ptychochromis Oliacanthus Spawn

JustRon

Members
Some shots from a recent spawn. I had this pair in a 55 with 5 other Pthychochromis oligacanthus sp. Red Fin Nosey Bey and another Paretroplus maculatus. Once some serious spawning behaviour began I moved the other fish. Alas, I was too slow for the sub-male that was in the tank a nd he expired a day later.

These are not the best shots, but I think you can at least see something interesting in each.

ptychfem.jpg

Ptycho Female

ptychomaletube.jpg

Ptycho Male Tube, obviously a bit more pointed than the female

ptychofemlaying.jpg

Ptycho Female Laying, tube down

ptychoclean.jpg

Ptycho Cleaning, both continued to clean the area during the laying process and immediately following

ptychoeggs.jpg

Ptycho Eggs, a fair number of eggs, the rock is about 2" thick, 8"long, maybe 800 eggs or so.

marge618

CCA member
Ron, interesting fish. The pics show very clearly what is going on. I like the sequencing.
Later,
Marge

animicrazy

Members
Dude,

you really need to get out more - as in at least once............................................................................

p.

JustRon

Members
ptychofamily.jpg

Ptycho bunch
ptychofam2.jpg

Ptycho bunch
ptychomalebabies.jpg

Ptycho Papa with babies
ptychofembabies.jpg

Ptycho Mama with babies
ptychopairbabies.jpg

Ptycho Pair with 2 free swimming fry

marge618

CCA member
Ron, how exciting. :confused0068: Looks like Ptycho Pair with 200+ free swimming fry to me. What a great sequence of pics. It looks to me like you have the perfect intro for a series in the Biotope on breeding endangered species of cichlids.
Later,
Marge

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have a group of 4 nosi bees (2 males and females, I think) that I got from Jeff Rapps. They're about 1.5-2" now, with the presumed males being on the larger end.

Are these a geographic varient of oligacanthus? At what size did yours start to breed? Anything trigger them?

Mine are growing like weeds and seem to appreciate big water changes.

longstocking

Members
Congrats Ron and Donna... since I know you both work hard in the fish room :)

I really don't know much about fish from this part of the world other than what you have told me :lol: I take it these guys don't get too big and are lot eaiser to spawn than a lot of the others?

animicrazy

Members
now if only I could spawn like that...............................hmmmm........................................

4.2 million dollars per year in private school education - think I'll stick it out alone for awhile !!!!

p

marge618

CCA member
Hello Ron and DC
How is the huge spawn growing? Wish to see more pics as the fry get bigger. I especially like the sequence pics that show development.

Thanks for sharing your fish with us.
:addpics2:
Later,
Marge

dogofwar

CCA Members
My pair of Ptyochromis nossibeensis, which I think is a different geographic varient of oligacanthus, spawned last weekend and now have free swimming fry.

The pair is only about 2 1/2" (male) and 2" (female). They were in with 2 other nossibees (another pair?) and spawned on top of a flowerpot on its side. What's funny is that the breeding pair let the male of the other pair hang out inside of the flowerpot, but was very concerned about any other fish that swam around the tank. So that the pair can raise their babies, I removed the fish from the tank.

They spawned when I added a heater to their tank and increased the temp from ~76 to 82F. They're in a 2'x2'x1' tank with tap water, a little sand substrate and a couple of flowerpots.

I'll try to take some pics of the pair.

Matt

DeeCee

Members
Wow -- congrats Matt!

That's really strange that the pair let another male hang out with them & the fry, isn't it?
Definitely get some pix up when you can :)

DC

dogofwar

CCA Members
Some of the non-rift lake African cichlids have odd - or less familiar - defensive behavior than some of the more familiar ones. The pair of nossibees spawned on top of the overturned pot, was hyper-vigilant about the fish swimmign around the tank (and charged the glass at me), but seemed to ignore the fish actually IN the pot below their eggs. Kind of like a toddler who closes his eyes to make things "go away."

I have some Pelmatochromis nigrofasiatus (west african) in a tank with excess female chanchitos (south americans). The Pelmats spawn, think that they're doing a good job guarding their eggs, but the chanchitos just swim through their efforts and eat the eggs :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ May 6 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow -- congrats Matt!

That's really strange that the pair let another male hang out with them & the fry, isn't it?
Definitely get some pix up when you can :)

DC[/b]