• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Prothos

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Haven't tried spider Ivy, but I also have pothos in many of my tanks. Obviously, it does best on tanks next to a window as ambient lighting doesn't do much for it. One trick I've learned is how to foil plant-eaters (most of my Malawi stuff as well as some of the CAs). Simply stick the root into your AquaClear filter, between the back plastic wall and the sponge. It will grow into the top sponge rather rapidly, but if you keep up with filter maintenance, will not get far enough into the bottom sponge to make removal and cleaning a hassle. To clean the sponge it's attached to, simply tap it on the side of the basin and most of the gunk will fall out. No need to aggressively wring it out.

I used mangrove pods in the fuge on my old saltwater setup. They were pretty effective, me thinks.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think Easter Lillies also do well in submerged type set-ups (like a dump filter) and are also pretty low light. Haven't tried it.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Wow

Once again, I am in awe.

I haven't found any actual numbers for pothos, but there are some papers out there that say that the best terrestrial plants for nitrate removal are in a family of huge grasses (4 ft tall, need full sun). That's not gonna happen. Otherwise, it seems that most terrestrial plants prefer their nitrogen in other forms (ammonia, for example).

There's another paper that says that as far as aquatic plants, hornwort is a huge nitrate hog. So, I'm considering some dump filters with just a huge mat of hornwort and lots of light.

Mangrove seedlings are another nitrate remover classic. They can be grown in freshwater....but can tolerate a lot of salt, too (duh...considering they're used in marine Setups sometimes). I'm experimenting with some in a small fry breeder box with the same hydroponic media I use in my dump filter. I need to get more light on them, but here's how mine look right now...I need to get more light on them, but they seem to be putting out roots like crazy.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Terrestrial plants also tend to prefer absorbing ammonia before nitrates, which (like cleaning filters regularly) removes pollution before it results in nitrates...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not if you keep the shirt out of them via a mechanical filtration layer before the bio. I use a tray of filter fluff and a layer of Poret in mine...

Matt

Aren't you worried about the dump filters becoming nitrate factories, plants or no plants? ;-)

chriscoli

Administrator
I think Easter Lillies also do well in submerged type set-ups (like a dump filter) and are also pretty low light. Haven't tried it.

Matt

I know Easter Lilies as a different plant than i think you're talking about (the ones im thinking of are a highly toxic bulb with lovely flowers). I think the ones youre referring to go by the names, peace lily, white sails, and Spathyphyllum (sp?)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App