• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Prob not a quick question

Samarvic

I have a 450lt tank lightly stocked at the moment with Malawi’s and syno petricoal all is good at the moment two external jbl 1400 filters fish stick
Is about 20 at moment 16 and 4 syno
Cats are full size and rest are about 2 inch, there is a aps 400 helping with surface agitation as well
What would you think ideal stocking levels be ?
tank is a rio 450 and forgot two plecs about 4 inch almost fully grown

thanks in advance

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't think there is a right/wrong answer. Keeping an eye on aggression and water quality is the best thing to do. They kind of fish is also important, as not all Malawi cichlids are equal. A group of 16 smaller mbuna are most likely fine (or maybe even understocked to help disperse aggression). A group of 16 large growing haps, and you may be at, or over, stocked when they reach adulthood.

I'm guessing that with a bunch of 2" fish in a relatively good sized tank makes it look empty. Give it some time for the fish to grow.

Samarvic

I don't think there is a right/wrong answer. Keeping an eye on aggression and water quality is the best thing to do. They kind of fish is also important, as not all Malawi cichlids are equal. A group of 16 smaller mbuna are most likely fine (or maybe even understocked to help disperse aggression). A group of 16 large growing haps, and you may be at, or over, stocked when they reach adulthood.

I'm guessing that with a bunch of 2" fish in a relatively good sized tank makes it look empty. Give it some time for the fish to grow.
Thanks for the advise