• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Powerhead (wave maker) ideas for a 75G Trophues tank

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Any specific brand/model you recommend? Nothing fancy though, only to move the water and agitate the surface.

Thanks

Becca

Members

This might be shocking to you (see what I did there), but many Amazon products are knockoffs. I actually avoid buying things like this on Amazon. If you want to be absolutely safe, there is a type of propeller pump that has the motor on the outside, but it WILL COST YOU (think hundreds). I can't remember what it's called.

FWIW, my hydors produce voltage, too, but it's induced voltage that results from a motor running in the tank. As I recently learned, this is different than actual current running through the water (amps) and is a given if you're running any sort of pump in a tank (ask JLW JLW about this one). I had problems finding an affordable tool for measuring amps that would work in an aquarium. I have "volts" coming from the hydor in my 55, but they're not anything that will harm the fish because it's not an actual electrical current. Same goes for my 33.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is a much bigger issue for saltwater than for freshwater. Saltwater is more conductive and more corrosive than freshwater.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
This might be shocking to you (see what I did there), but many Amazon products are knockoffs. I actually avoid buying things like this on Amazon. If you want to be absolutely safe, there is a type of propeller pump that has the motor on the outside, but it WILL COST YOU (think hundreds). I can't remember what it's called.

FWIW, my hydors produce voltage, too, but it's induced voltage that results from a motor running in the tank. As I recently learned, this is different than actual current running through the water (amps) and is a given if you're running any sort of pump in a tank (ask JLW JLW about this one). I had problems finding an affordable tool for measuring amps that would work in an aquarium. I have "volts" coming from the hydor in my 55, but they're not anything that will harm the fish because it's not an actual electrical current. Same goes for my 33.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is a much bigger issue for saltwater than for freshwater. Saltwater is more conductive and more corrosive than freshwater.

"Shocking" indeed, lol. Does this apply only to Wave makers? What about these power heads, these are the same concept, no? But I guess if the stray voltage is not harmful, it doesn't make a difference then.

61f1B0mB29L._SL1000_.jpg

Becca

Members
It applies to pretty much everything on Amazon. I haven't heard of that brand. If I were going to go with that style of powerhead I'd go with a MaxiJet or an AquaClear. My issue with that style is that the intake clogs pretty quickly, so they require almost weekly cleaning. I use MJ1200s in my 92 corner, but have to clean them pretty frequently. I like the AquaClear ones because there's an attachment you can get that adds additional filtration.

FishEggs

Just stick a block of poret foam to the intake. Makes it easy to clean.
I had or have an odyssea pump like that I bought a long time ago. As far as i can remember it worked pretty good. Still does I think. The light fixture on the other hand wasnt so good.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have had great success with the Maxi-Jets in tropheus tanks. If you are are just looking for movement you can set them up in the circulation mode. Used the many times in
Tropheus tanks. Just remember, in circulation mode you don't need to go big. The smaller ones do just fine. On the seventy fives I would just use one 400 on each end of the tank and sometimes only one. You can get them from Chewys for about 9 bucks.

Becca

Members
Just stick a block of poret foam to the intake. Makes it easy to clean.
I had or have an odyssea pump like that I bought a long time ago. As far as i can remember it worked pretty good. Still does I think. The light fixture on the other hand wasnt so good.

Been there, done that, still had to clean it once a week, if not more. The foam captures particles that would easily pass through the intake.

FishEggs

What size ppm poret did you use?
Either way it takes 2 minutes to pop it off and squeeze it out a few times in the sink and pop it back on.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I have had great success with the Maxi-Jets in tropheus tanks. If you are are just looking for movement you can set them up in the circulation mode. Used the many times in
Tropheus tanks. Just remember, in circulation mode you don't need to go big. The smaller ones do just fine. On the seventy fives I would just use one 400 on each end of the tank and sometimes only one. You can get them from Chewys for about 9 bucks.

The only thing I can find on Chewy with that price is 2.5w fountain pond pumps lol