• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pool Filter Stand

Wblaze

Members
Hi. I am looking to get a 55g and will use pool filter sand as the substrate. How much do I need? Any particular type? Any recomendations on a good place in the rockville area to get it? How do you recomend rinsing it?

Sorry for all the questions

mchambers

Former CCA member
There is a pool supply store on the north side of White Flint, might be a Leslie's. I got a bag of sand there a few months back. It's nearly white. I have gotten sand at another store in Virginia that is more a mixed bunch, with white, tan, and brown.

Really depends on what kind of look you want.

I didn't bother to rinse it. I tested a small amount and did not see much haze, so just put it in the tank, added the wood, rocks, and plants, then added the water.

CichlidOWNR

Members
I just got my PFS from Leslie's in Vienna, Va. They are a chain and may have a store closer to you. The PFS color is tan/brown which is why choose Leslie's after researching. Also helps that they were one of the few stores still open or didn't have overly restricted hours of operation due to the time of year. The bag was about $11 for a 50lb bag. Was failrly quick to clean and settled relatively quickly when I changed subrstrate last weekend.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Like Matt said, no need to rinse.

1-1.5 bags should be good for a 55. There is a pool supply store up around the air park in Gaithersburg as well.

Greg31

Members
Only problem with pool supply stores is they tend to be closed in winter. My sand did cloud a little so I would rinse.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would think that a bag would more than enough. I used one in my 55 and there are places where the sand it 4" deep. 3/4 of a bag will do.

If you don't find a place in Rockvile, there is a place on Grove Road in Frederick called Flamingo Pool Supply. They are open year round, but have reduced hours in the winter. $11 for a bag that is mostly white/tan sand.

Spine

Members
When you fill the tank diffuse the water from the sand with a bowl or plate so you don't stir up the sand so much. This should help cut down on the clouding

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Deep threat

Beware the alleged hydrogen sulfide pockets trapped deep in the substrate. Have no idea if they're real or not but given the title of the post had to offer something.

Depth depends on what you're doing, but rarely cause for deep substrate unless you have burrowers, botanical demands or extreme design criteria. I've moved away from deep substrate (1' -2"+) to progressively shallower layerings so that anymore it's often only enough to cover the glass to a depth of 1/2" or less.

As most of the plants I use (anubias, moss, water sprite, wisteria, hornwort, java fern) don't require much if any "soil", it's not a problem but also have swords, cabomba, hygro, cryps and a few red-leaved species growing well in an inch of sand.

Substrate should first and foremost suit the inhabitants. Secondary concerns are landscaping and maintenance. Less substrate means more water volume and less cleaning. Have found that one can create berms of stones and wood to contain areas of deeper substrate so as to cover potted plants/provide more areas for rooted plants - also varies the topography without having to utilize huge amounts of substrate.

First and last time I went to buy pool sand (Danny's Pool in Crofton, MD) it was crushed limestone - not good. Instead I stopped at Home Depot and bought 4 slightly perforated bags of play sand at half-price. It's finer than regular sand and takes some work to rinse clean so that all the finest silt gets flushed out, but it's a great semi-bright bone-white color (easily modified by addition of other materials) that sets everything else off nicely and Corydoras love plowing around in it.

The other posters are correct - less is more, one bag of anything should be more than all you need to cover a 55 tank's 4 sq. feet or 576 sq. inches. If you figure 1" depth that means 576 cubic inches - 231 cubic inches per gallon, and Voila! - almost exactly 2.5 gallons of material.

Pool filter sand does not differ from any other silica based sand product. It is used for pool sand filters because of its size and uniformity, the way the sand "locks" together to form a mass rather than a fluidized bed effect and its relative inertness. I have worked at a pool supply store part time for the last 5 years and have never found a bag to need any rinsing.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
That may be the case at your store...

...but the one I went to was selling crushed limestone labeled as pool sand, which is composed of calcium rather than silicon and far from "inert". All "pool sand" is apparently not created equal.

toddnbecka

Members
If you want a dark substrate Black Diamond blasting grit is only about $8/50lb bag. It's actually coal slag, but aside from the color (and lack of diatoms) it works the same as sand. Completely inert, just use the largest grade availble, finer particles are more troublesome to siphon.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sounds like sharp stuff

Any fractured medium is going to be akin to glass - sharp jagged edges that abrade the barbels of catfish and are rough on Geos and other bottom/substrate feeders. If the substrate's not from a river or the ocean at some point in its history it's potentially or likely a problem.

One has to hope the impurities in slag are truly locked up because the heavy metal concentrations in that stuff are really high. As someone who has spent years of fighting the coal industry I for one am not about to pay or subsidize them to dispose of their waste.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Pfs

...but the one I went to was selling crushed limestone labeled as pool sand, which is composed of calcium rather than silicon and far from "inert". All "pool sand" is apparently not created equal.
I've gotten pfs from three different pool stores and always gotten silica based sand. Never limestone. Leslie's near White Flint, Huston's in Fairfax, and a store in the same strip as HOT.

I greatly prefer it to play sand.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I don't doubt it.

Listed the store that was selling limestone based product earlier — am sure there's no question that coarser pool sand has less silt and is easier to clean.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Back in California, I was able to buy 50 lb bags of sand in a variety of grain sizes from my local landscape / garden store for ~$10 per 50 or 60 lb bag.

I seem to remember buying the coarest grain sand, which was much smaller than gravel but significantly coarser than PFS.

It was inert as well...so I bought some chunks of limestone from the same place for tank decorating / buffering (this was before I knew better than to keep rift lake cichlids ;))...

Matt

toddnbecka

Members
My lfs also sells various grades of gravel in 50 lb bags, including very fine (basically sand) and a little larger grade similar to pfs but not sifted for uniform grain size. The little larger size looks like sand, but is easier to siphon and less prone to collect debris IME. The bags are about $12.

Hawkman2000

Members
Merrifield garden center has Architectural Sand that looked pretty good. I just don't know if its aquarium safe. I plan on changing my substrate to sand soon so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

P.S. - EarthEater Safe Sand

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Merrifield garden center has Architectural Sand that looked pretty good. I just don't know if its aquarium safe. I plan on changing my substrate to sand soon so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

P.S. - EarthEater Safe Sand

Switching from gravel to sand isn't that tough to do. I switched over my 180 about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier about it. All I did was remove all of the ornaments (rock, wood, pots) from that tank and then started with a large gravel vac to get as much of the mulm trapped in the gravel out before I started scooping out the gravel. I then scooped the gravel out with a catch container. I liked using the container because it has a wide, flat side to it that I could run along the bottom of the tank. Once all of the gravel was out, I siphoned off as much of the dirty water as I could (probably an 85% water change when it was all said and done.

I then filled the tank back up about 1/2 way to give some fresh water to the fish in the tank, rinsed the PFS and dumped it in the tank. I filled the tank all the way back up and fired up the sponge filters. I also used a power head with a polishing filter on it to get most of the fine particulates floating around in the water column. I turned the canister filters back on about an hour later and everything was good. All this was done without removing any of the fish from the tank.