• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pool Filter Stand

Hawkman2000

Members
Its not the change over to sand that concerns me. I am wondering if Architactural Sand is aquarium safe and Earth Eater safe. Thanks for the info though.

toddnbecka

Members
Pool filter sand is sifted for uniform particle size. Playsand, builders sand, etc. aren't, and will have a wide spectrum of particle sizes that will make the sand compact more tightly. That means greater chances of anaerobic pockets and hydrogen sulfide gas forming in the tank.

Pool filter sand is sifted for uniform particle size. Playsand, builders sand, etc. aren't, and will have a wide spectrum of particle sizes that will make the sand compact more tightly. That means greater chances of anaerobic pockets and hydrogen sulfide gas forming in the tank.

The idea of anaerobic pockets is one thing that puzzles me about using sand and then stacking lots of rocks on top...how do you prevent the anaerobic pockets from forming, without deconstructing the rock structures periodically to clean under them? I know there are ways to put in under-sand tubing and running air through it to establish some current immediately on top of the sand and drive the waste into the filters, but there has to be another answer that's simpler, I just don't know what it is. What am I missing??:confused0007:

toddnbecka

Members
I simply pull out all the rocks/decor and do a thorough cleaning when necessary. I often see some trapped bubbles rising when I disturb the sand, but not usually the rotten egg smell of H2S. It also depends on the stock and the setup. The fish in the 90 happily dig around and rearrange the sand bed, and the mts are also helpful for aerating the sand bed. I don't do live rooted plants, so I don't have 3-4" deep sand beds.
Never stack rocks on top of the sand bed, if the fish dig around they're quite likely to fall.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sisyphus got nothing on this child

Never stack rocks on top of the sand bed, if the fish dig around they're quite likely to fall.

Rather avoid stacking them carelessly perhaps -far far too much fun/art/lyricism/reason in stacking rocks not to do it. Rocks falling in water don't move so fast anyway - or do you perhaps have a story to tell? I bet someone does...

toddnbecka

Members
I have read posts about falling rocks smashing fish under them. Besides, rearranging the rocks occasionally males life more interesting for the fish while they sort out their new territories. :lol:

dogofwar

CCA Members
No rock falling on fish stories (but a couple of fish running into rock ones - really Mr. 12" frontosa?!)...but our cat once stepped on a glass lid...causing it to encase a fish against the bottom like a microscope slide. The sky truly was falling...

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
Eeeeew. And I've smashed many-a-thing under microscope slides in my career...that tops it for me!

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Plenipotentiary-at-large
The idea of anaerobic pockets is one thing that puzzles me about using sand and then stacking lots of rocks on top...how do you prevent the anaerobic pockets from forming, without deconstructing the rock structures periodically to clean under them? I know there are ways to put in under-sand tubing and running air through it to establish some current immediately on top of the sand and drive the waste into the filters, but there has to be another answer that's simpler, I just don't know what it is. What am I missing??:confused0007:

Apparently you needn't worry unless your substrate is deeper than 2 1/2", and presumably by extension, if the diameter of the rocks is less than twice that, i.e., 5". I'm in the habit of placing larger rocks directly on the bottom of tanks by brushing the sand aside which has the effect of minimizing the likelihood of any substrate compaction beneath the rocks - looks more natural as well with the rocks coming up out of the substrate as well.

Below is a link to a good H2S article. Within it is also a link to the most comprehensible piece I've seen on the Nitrogen cycle as well - offers some good explanations for why water changes sometimes don't quite do the trick because the new water can supply the missing ingredients for driving bacterial cycles/chemical reactions within residual waste.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2008/11/hydrogen-sulfides.html

Hawkman2000

Members
I'm in the habit of placing larger rocks directly on the bottom of tanks by brushing the sand aside which has the effect of minimizing the likelihood of any substrate compaction beneath the rocks - looks more natural as well with the rocks coming up out of the substrate as well.

+1 dude

We finaly agree on something.:D I do the same thing. Large rocks sticking up through the substrate with some small rocks dropped here and there.